HELP needed for chem (1 Viewer)

MedStudent65

HSC
hey BOS

I'm really starting to freak out with chem cause I really bummed out in the half-yearlies.
I estimate my rank to be between 25-35/60 and we usually get around 10-13 b6's every year.

I still have 60% of my weighting still left so is there any way you think that i can bring up my ranks into the B6 range?
And do you have any other general tips to study for chemistry (I probably study for chem the least)

Any help will be appreciated:smile::smile:

acemer

HSC
For chemistry, it sounds clichéd, but the only way to improve is to study and practice more. It can take quite a bit of time to cover all the content so try to set aside at least 45 mins every Monday, Wednesday and Friday to revise and do practice questions (ie. not working on assessments). You mentioned you studied chemistry the least so this is a likely cause for your results.

In general, study tips are much the same as any other subject:

For revision, I assume you are putting together notes. Additional notes from the Buy/Sell Forum are helpful for improving your own notes and making sure you don't miss anything. They are worth the investment. It also helps to seek out third party resources for each topic for a new perspective. These can be textbooks or online. I frequently refer to https://www.khanacademy.org/science/chemistry/organic-chemistry and https://chem.libretexts.org/ and I'm in third year. It presents concepts in a way that is unintimidating and easy to understand.

For practice questions, https://www.khanacademy.org/science/chemistry?t=practice is a good resource. Otherwise there are plenty of textbooks out there.

Do this effectively and you can make a B6.

infiniteknowledge

HSC
This might sound a bit counterproductive but maybe take a break for chem.

I personally found that I struggled with chem because I stopped focusing and ended up only listening to bits and pieces of chemistry and not the entire "story". I ended up getting really flustered because I only had a partial understanding and started confusing/mixing different concepts.

Taking a step back to reflect and look at chem from a big picture perspective really helped me re-focus and understand chemistry as a whole instead of individual concepts.

tanyaboer

HSC
Do past exam papers! In my experience, past papers are the most useful resource for Chemistry. Personally, my chemistry grade went up by about 10% after I really started focussing on doing past papers!

Having good notes will also help you heaps! So make sure that you're staying on top of them and not making them a week before your exam.

Also, context is extremely important when it comes to chem. In other words, don't just understand the process, understand why, when and where the process is occurring as well. By really understanding the topic, you'll be able to answer many questions that you class mates won't be able to.

Good Luck! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)