• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

help needed with practical on topic motors and generators (1 Viewer)

some_girl

HSC
i posted in the "motors and generators" section but i didnt get much help so i hope this time would be better :( ?

the aim of the prac is:

"Design an experiment to investigate how the amplitude of a pendulum formed by a magnet and thread varies against time with or without a nearby electrical conductor"

-- i need help because i dont understand what the aim is asking for. i hope someone can give me a brief overview of what i need to do or explain what the aim means coz i really dont get it.

help would be much appreciated :)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
The aim is to illustrate Lenz's Law.

If you think of that and the Conservation of Energy you should be able to figure out the experiment.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
You can try to do this physically. Get a magnet and make the pendulum with that as the weight, then swing it close to a large piece of metal. Observe the pendulum with and without that piece a metal (an electrical conductor) and think about what you need to write.

amplitude vs. time => how much the pendulum swings as time goes on.

That okay?

some_girl

HSC
what is the amplitude of a pendulum and how would i go about measuring the amplitude?

thanks BlackJack!! ur theory seems cool! if i replaced the magnet on the pendulum with a metal (conductor [ferametal????]) and have 2 magnets sitting on either side of the pendulum, would that still work?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)