Help on a question about athens (1 Viewer)

k8hamil0408

HSC
I really need help with this question for class.

The question is "what is a polis" and i know it's a fortified city but the question is a 3marker and i'm not sure what to put into the answer.

Any help would be appreciated :)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
A polis is an autonomous city state that provides for itself. It has it's own government, customs, rituals, festivals, social orders etc.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
btw if this question relates directly to Athens you may want have a think about the definition of a polis and whether or not it fits with what we know about Athens.

k8hamil0408

HSC
yeah i did do that and i'm just putting in a bit about the government system and the main factors of life, well the important ones, so that i have enough information for the 3 marks

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
haha not exactly what i was getting at, it's probably not warranted for a 3 marker but Athens wasn't exactly self sufficient (think about food supply) and it could be argued that Athens was not a polis at all or was at the very least an atypical polis.

k8hamil0408

HSC
true but the mountain ranges gave them the resources needed to give them a basis of food. They had the limestone mountains which gave them defence and also marble for building, there was a plentiful forrest with wood that they could use to build ships for their navy, their harbour was safe etc.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
It's really food supply that makes academics question the use of the word polis to describe Athens (though it's size also makes it rather unique); without it's heavy importation of grain it would not have been able to provide for itself. A polis provides for itself from within it's own ranks, not from any form of outside support. It's an interesting argument that can add a bit of depth to your work, again i didn't read carefully enough that this was only a 3 marker but if it's relevant in future essays it might be worth having a look at.

k8hamil0408

HSC
i will certainly keep it in mind. I do understand the point you're making and i agree. You also gave me greater understanding on what a polis actually is :)

Thanks a lot and i will keep this information in mind because i am sure it will come up again :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)