Help on History/Politics (1 Viewer)

JDurrant

HSC
Accepted into a Bachelor of Arts at UNSW where i was planning to do History and Politics, however they just suggested a "program transfer option" to Social Sciences.

What's the difference? What's better for History/Politics? Is it the exact same?

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
If you want felxibility in your degree then don't take it. In the majors themselves you do the same units in either, but in Soc. Sci. you'll have to take other compulsory courses.

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
Arts @ unsw is great. I transferred out of USyd Arts into UNSW, because I didn't at all like Arts @ USyd. Others will disagree, but it hardly merits the kind of comment from bringbackshred.

JDurrant

HSC
Any of the history courses absolutely essential to AVOID?

Should I just do the 2 intro courses?

Arwon

HSC
Arts @ unsw is great. I transferred out of USyd Arts into UNSW, because I didn't at all like Arts @ USyd. Others will disagree, but it hardly merits the kind of comment from bringbackshred.
Well the fact that we've lost 2/3rds of the courses we had in 2007 doesn't bode well. History has gone from 7 first year classes to 2 and it's shed almost all its 3000 level classes. We get all these bizzare triple and quadruple coded courses in an attempt to cram shed classes into others. It doesn't work.

Then in the school of languages we've lost 2 hours a week contact time while still being expected to learn the same foreign language content, and we've lost all the casual language staff (forcing tenured academics to teach first year foreign language classes... no wonder they keep leaving).

The long term plans of the university simply do not include a vibrant or well-resourced Arts faculty. It shows.

Oh and the Morven Brown building might be giving people cancer!

Last edited:

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
Everything you said was right about what's going on at UNSW but, in my experience @ USyd their Arts was going through problems in regards to funding which were just as bad. But, I can only speak from my experience which was very good at UNSW. Other's experiences will be different.

HSC
Arts anywhere will be having some degree of financial issues, the government just doesn't give much attention to the humanities in regards to their Higher Education funding

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
D. you remind me of someone that i know. he is doing i think the same majors as you in arts but is concurrently doing law at usyd...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)