• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

help on major work: Aztecs (1 Viewer)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
hi

iam thinking about doing my major work on the aztecs, but iam new to history exstention and iam not very good at thinking up focus topics or how to word them

my ideas on the Aztecs in particular incliude:

The Spanish invasion [ led by Cortez] and how they conquered the Aztecs

The Aztec riual of sacrificing humans, and how people have percieved that over time

How the introduction of Christianity all but destoryed the Aztec culture

The great Aztec pyramid [ located in their capital] i dunno what in particular about it

and iam alsop interested in the similarities between the Aztecs and the Egyptians and the possible theory that some Egyptians sailed to mexico [ yes i know, a long way] and established the aztec civilization there, the conecting points being their pyramids similar measurements, the society structure, worship of sun gods ect

thankyou for your thoughts

miss_niss

Occasional Member
HSC
Ahhh the Aztecs...

I did the Aztecs for my case study and so I can give you a few ideas..

Actually that just made me realise, can you do this topic if its one of the case studies? Oh wait my friend did elizabeth and that was one of them. ok never mind.

The Spanish invasion [ led by Cortez] and how they conquered the Aztecs
Was it more of a rebellion or a coup rather than a conquest? Ross Hassig is one of the historians who put this forward I think, and you could investigate how historians have interpretated the victory. For example Lord Thomas said that the Aztecs were a large static monarchy and emphasised the superstitiuos nature of montezuma.

Thinking of Montzuma, you know how everyone says the aztecs thought the invading spainards were gods? You could investigate the validity of this idea, because many have said this idea comes from the Florentine codex written by the natives after their defeat, and the writers were just looking to make 'excuses'.

How the introduction of Christianity all but destoryed the Aztec culture
Well from the article i linked below, James Lochart looks at the impact on spanish culture. look at how christianity was introduced, through the missions and such, did the natives have a choice? The other side is how readily catholicism was accepted but also modified to have distinctly mexican features.

Also there is debate as to the impact, serge gruzinski said the 'disruption of memories' and artistic expression was the 'most insidous' impact.

So a few questions: What was the role of Hernan Cortes in the Aztec defeat?
Did the superstitions of the Aztecs lead to their defeat? (Thomas, the florentine codex, other reasons for defeat, origins of this theory)
Was the Spanish invasion a catalyst for rebellion? (Looking at the way the axtexs treated conquered tribes, how they exacted tribute, how coretes used his native allies)

The article where I got my historians and ideas for my case study is here:
http://muweb.millersv.edu/~columbus/data/rev/AXTELL-2.HTML

Print it out, its wordy but if u can wrap your head and read the right paragraphs it is gold.

As for the relationship between Egyptians and Aztecs, be careful. I think you would be better off examining the validity of these claims. The marking criteria says you most construct and defend your own historical position' and its always easier to critiscise or point out the flaws in historians arguments to back up your own. so examine the people who have put this theory formward, who were they, what is their evidence, and dont just explain pass judgement. I loved being able to analyse my historians becasue being critical is easy!

So questions: um....
What evidence is there that the Aztec pryamids have Egyptian origins?
How valid is the theory that the origins of the Aztec civilisation can be found in Egypt.

Personally I dont put much faith in the theory, given the different time periods, and the fact that it just isnt likely. And ive never believed in the global pyramid stuff. I mean, i think pyramids are found in different places because its the most practical shape! its not easy to constuct a massive momument straight up, its easier and more stable to have a slope. but i digress....

Sorry this is a rather long and probably confusing post but I hope I've given you a few ideas. When your more clear on the what aspect of the topic you are doing, pm me and I can help with focus questions. You just have to make them sound good even if they arn't really. I used status quo in mine!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)