Help on question. (1 Viewer)

mAtboisLim

HSC
Compare an emission and absorption spectrum. Any ideas on how to answer this question would be much appreciated.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
first of all u need to understand that each atom's got their own "fingerprints" (i.e they will only absorb and emit a certain wavelength of light)

well emmision is basically u heat up an atom and make it emit light (which u can detect by looking for its "finger prints" )

in absorption spectrum ur basically bombarding the atom with all wavelengths of light, and seeing which wavelenght it absorbs (which is its fingerprints btw) , once u know which wavelength was absorbed- then u know what atom it was.

i know my explanation was a bit scrappy- but hope it helps. :)

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
emission is when the electrons will move down a shell; down to a lower energy level

thus they will emit the energy difference as an EM wave i think; and yeah each element has a distinctive pattern

mAtboisLim

HSC
Okay, thanks that seems to be clearing it up. :D

I have found that there can be three types of emission spectra: 'continous', 'line' or 'band'. Can all of these be for abosption spectrum as well, because I need to contrast as well as compare emission and absorption.

Last edited:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by mAtboisLim
Okay, thanks that seems to be clearing it up. :D

I have found that there can be three types of emission spectra: 'continous', 'line' or 'band'. Can all of these be for abosption spectrum as well, because I need to contrast as well as compare emission and absorption.
yeah, it should b for the absorbtion spectrum as well (but not emmited- rather absorbed). :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)