help out a stressed dumb kid?? (1 Viewer)

aycaramba

HSC
N/A
anyone have tips and secrets into getting 15/15 in AOS belonging reading paper? I've kinda given up because I timed myself doing the practice reading paper and I was only up to question 3 and then the 40 mins was up!! am I just slow at developing and writing ideas or is this like normal or sadgdsagskdsjka

Occupied

HSC
N/A
mm
u might be writing too much for certain questions. like 2 marker only needs 1-2 techniques, i.e 1-2 sentences. if ur writing 3, then you're wasting time. a 1 marker is like a sentence etc. when i did my hsc i used my reading time to pick out 2-3 techniques per text (u don't need more than 3 since u can recycle them)

also keep in mind that if it's a 40 min test, and the test consists of 15 marks, then that's like a little over 2 mins per mark. so when ur doing say a 2 marker, don't spend more than 4-5 mins on it. i would even say that once u hit the 5min mark, just move on cuz u've prolly written enough anyways.

Unfortunately this also means that ur expected to spend a little over 13 mins on a 5 marker.

but yeh. it's pretty normal to struggle with time management in reading tasks. u'll get faster with practise.

Last edited:

aycaramba

HSC
N/A
WHAT rlly!? 1-2 sentences for a 2 marker? Dunno about your school, but when I asked my teacher the other day about approx. how much needs to be written for a 2 marker, he said like 5 sentences/half a page!! :"( but tnx 4 the info

Last edited:

ml125

HSC
Make sure on the first few questions (1-2 marks) you don't waste too much time. These questions really don't require much explanation (techniques wise) so don't write out a whole essay. Just give a decent explanation linking your chosen examples to the given question.

With the longer questions (3-5 marks) try picking out examples which you feel you might be able to write a lot about - having fewer, more detailed explanations is better than having multiple weak explanations. For questions which ask you to relate to multiple texts, reuse your examples from other questions, and simply shift your explanations to fit the question. <–– because of this I recommend starting from beginning to end

Pick out examples that stand out to you first, then write as much as you can - but make sure it all relates to the question. This will help you start off with a decent pace. If you feel like you're ever slowing down or if you have nothing to write, just move on to the next question or try adding to earlier answers - this could help you think of something to write for the question that you're stuck on.

It also pays well to make connections to other parts of the rubric, other than what is stated in the question - this is more awarded in later questions but try to weave it in all your answers, this is to show your understanding of the rubric :D

It should come to you after you do a few more papers - just keep practising and you should get the hang of it. Good luck! :D

ml125

HSC
WHAT rlly!? 1-2 sentences for a 2 marker? Dunno about your school, but when I asked my teacher the other day about approx. how much needs to be written for a 2 marker, he said like 5 sentences/half a page!! :"( but tnx 4 the info
Half a page is way too much for a 2 marker!! 1-2 sentences should be good for a 2 marker, if not a bit more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)