• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

help PLEASE! subject selection for y11 (1 Viewer)

gahyunkk

HSC
Hi people!!

i'm currently in the process of selecting subjects for y11~y12.
Currently I'm thinking of..

1. English - ESL (I came Australia at this year)
2. Math ext 1
3. photography (non-atar 1unit course - for making 12 units : i have to drop this subject in year12)
4. Business OR Economic
5. Design Technology(home economic) OR Visual Art
6. Japanese continuer
7. TAFE Tvet Financial Service (Accounting)

i have total 14 units for year11, but after 4weeks of term1 in year11, I can drop either TAFE accounting course or one 2 units school subject.
So after 4 weeks, i will drop 'Business OR Economic' or japanese if i like to do accounting TAFE course, so that i can do 12 units in year11 with one major work subject(DT or Visual art) and TAFE accounting course.

And at first I wanted to do 'Graphic designer' in the future but i was worrying about salary/stability of the job..
So i'm also thinking about 'Accountant' (or other kinds of job that i can choose after i get bachelor's degree of accounting)

a) Visual Art VS Design Technology (home eco)
- actually i do love hand drawing rather than using computer software, so i wanted to do visual art at first but worried about theory part....I want to do visual art if the essay(written exam) part is not that hard. (cuz i would have no idea when i hav to write about essay of random plate/topic that i've never seen.

b) Can i get ATAR of 95+ with those subjects? Currently, I'm aiming for sydney university(not sure yet).

c) Is there anyone who knows well about TAFE accounting subject? I want to try this cause i can drop it anyway after 4 weeks if i find it is useless. Is it hard to get ATAR mark? Is it useful? (my friend who wants to be an accountant asked to our commerce teacher, and the teacher recommend her to do not choose it)

d) After i drop photography in year12, i have 2 choices. (1)doing japanese extension(3units)+math ext1(3units) or (2) doing japanese continuer(2u)+math ext2(4u). I heard that I have to do HSC math 2units test at the end of y11, with y12. (accelerated class..right?) I don't know how hard math 4u is and i've got 100 in half yearly math test in y10(now) but i've already learnt about them before i came to australia so the test score in y10 can't be used to estimate my math ability i think...

f) Business VS Economic! which one is better in each term of scale/amount of work/relation with accountant job?

g) To get better ATAR score, do you think doing 12units in y12 is good..? cuz ATAR is for the best10units subjects..so..?

THANKS for reading all of this!!!

Grace_13

HSC
if you are aiming for a high ATAR to get into sydney UNI i would choose the subjects that you enjoy the most and could get the best marks in (you will do better at subjects you enjoy!)

a) Visual Arts could be hard, as there is allot more to it than just drawing, the Prelim and HSC course has a big focus on the 'meaning' and the theory could be hard coming from a non-english background. but if you are dedicated to it, i think you could still do well. in the theory exam you will be asked questions about the meaning of the work and the frames which you will have to be familiar with eg.. "Discuss the structural frame for this artwork" etc you need to be able to understand the concepts and meaning behind artworks, why artists made them and what they are trying to communicate.

b) you can get a high ATAR with any subject but you have to put in lots of hard work, study and have an interest and aptitude for the subject

c) tafe courses ca be good, but if you want to go on to university and study accounting there isn't really much point seen as youw ill be studying it again at university (unless you can get points or credits towards the uni course from tafe)

d) i would wait and see how you do in year 11 with japanese and maths. Ext 2 maths is allo harder than ext 1!! but you may be able to be good at it, and if you can you will be able to get excellent marks!! however if you will do better in japanese you would be better off to do this (is Japanese your first language?)

f) Business and economics are very different. Business would be helpful is you are considering starting your own accounting business later on and probably would have more to do with accounting. However economics would probably be better in terms of helping with everyday things, but im not really sure as i don't do these subjects. I have friends that do economics and love it!

g) 12 units is best because you can have 2 'spare' ones if you do badly in one of your subjects, unless you are very confident in 10 of your subjects and would do better putting all your time into those

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)