help please! wizard of oz (1 Viewer)

lagunabeach

HSC
anything at all that u know about it and imaginative journeys pleaseeee ill love you forever

wannablawyer

HSC
hey look u sound stressed let me giv u some advice;

1) focus on colour or the absence of it
2) listen carefully to dorothy's first song
3) Listen to the wizard @ emerald city he provides very important info

Use specific examples though dont imply things and stay calm then it will all come to you ok!

:) hope i help watch the film twice more b4 ur exam!

wats ur presribed text?
:jedi:

wannablawyer

HSC
hey look u sound stressed let me giv u some advice;

1) focus on colour or the absence of it
2) listen carefully to dorothy's first song
3) Listen to the wizard @ emerald city he provides very important info

Use specific examples though dont imply things and stay calm then it will all come to you ok!

:) hope i help watch the film twice more b4 ur exam!

wats ur presribed text?

beckywecky

HSC
Okay, basically here are some notes that I have compiled today about The Wizard of Oz. My related text is The Tempest, so I have related some of the points back to that.

I hope it helps! :)

• Initially, the tone and atmosphere are dull. Through the use of sepia, the composer has created this to reveal Dorothy's unhappiness. Her home is dismal, dry and arid.
  • Dorothy speculates over her own Utopian World (as with Gonzalo in The Tempest) where "there isn't any trouble... it's not a place you can get to by boat or train - it's far, far away!"
  • Through the use of song, "Somewhere over the rainbow..." Dorothy's idea of a colourful, more enticing and free world is expressed. Incorporated is a low angle shot of light beaming through the clouds, which insinuates that there is a better world over the rainbow.
  • The storm that occurs is symbolic of Dorothy's anger; dramatic music is used in conjunction with SFX - harsh winds, to convey this.
  • Technicolour is then used to show that Dorothy has now reached her 'better world.' The land is fertile, rich and full of beautiful scenery and angelic creatures. The colourful Munchkin Land is juxtaposed with the 'dull' Kansas. - "I've got a feeling that we're not in Kansas anymore. I think we're over the rainbow!"
  • Dorothy is a dichotomous character - she appears innocent, beautiful and willing to sacrifice herself for others, yet she is assertive, determined and desirous of experience. She challenges the stereotypical roles of women that the film presents (i.e. Aunty Em's apron is symbolic of female domesticity).
  • In The Tempest, Prospero's cloak represents a powerful, enchanting magic. Similarly in The Wizard of Oz, the red slippers are a display of power and magic.
  • Our imaginative journeys, as expressed in The Wizard of Oz, lead us to face our fears and overcome challenges. For example, Dorothy comes to a greater understanding and appreciation of herself and her family, Scarecrow shows he has brains through the plan he makes, Tinman cries, therefore he is caring and does have a heart, and Lion displays courage when he leads the way.
  • These central characters undergo a significant change as they progress through their journey.
  • Imaginative journeys are inspired by reality.
  • Social context - Populist Movement; Dorothy an analogy of the American people - good natured (if you want more information on this, you will need to research it further).
  • The imaginative journey, although a 'dream', is exceedingly real for Dorothy. She undergoes various challenges, and throughout the entireity of her journey she wishes to go home. This is ironic, as she initially wanted to leave. Thus, she has come to appreciate what she has - "there is no place like home..." Repetition is used to reinforce this.
  • Like in The Tempest, Dorothy is attacked by magical and strange beings. Magic is a central part of the imaginative journey.
  • "You don't need to be helped, you always had the power. You had to learn it for yourself."
  • Dorothy - "If I ever go looking for my hearts desire, I won't have to look any further than my own backyard..." - Realisation.
  • It can therefore be concluded that, whilst imaginative journeys are just that - imaginary, they are inspired by reality and are powerful learning experiences.
So there you have it!

samantha_s

HSC
Thanks wannablawyer and beckywecky! I'm doing The Wizard of Oz too and needed some guidance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)