Help please! (1 Viewer)

Doomsday

HSC
I'd greatly appreciate any help in answering these questions...

1. File server vs. client-server architecture - advantages and disadvantages? What exactly is the difference between the two?

2. Can someone please explain the process of system recovery? I'm using the Heinemann textbook, and it keeps talking about journals, checkpoints...

3. What does 'consolidated' mean, in the context of data warehousing?

4. What is the difference between a schema, a schematic diagram, and data modelling?

5. Do we need to know about Transaction Processing Monitors?

Thanks!

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
yo

some of the concepts you said im a bit fuzzy with , but look this may sound stupid but best just mindfuck them so if they ask you at least you can regurgitate a definitino

Few things:

1). A file server - is a controlling computer on a network , its used to store the user's program and data shares. So in a sense all the workstations (provided they have teh necessary rights) can access the programs from the server. It can also give the nodes access to remote hard drives so to manage a network directory
Advantages: well pretty obvious the computers on the network save space dont they?
um.... lemme see greater data integrity? since data is stored at a single point , elss need for mass programs all over the place in the network etc.....

Disadvantages: well hah , if the workstations are relying on various programs and even important fiels from this file server that is kinda risky , imagine if the data was corrupt .

Now
Client server architecture - describes the software relationship between the clietn(user) and the server.
Okay think about this... to access this website your WEB-BROWSER(client) would have to make a request to the bos web-server (or domain..... meh) the server would respond by (hopefully) displaying the website.
its a half-duplex system in a sense...
Advantages: i dunno really, thats just how it is
Disadvantages:... slow maybe????

2). Alright im using Heinemann as well
If you mean the recovery process its done in a few ways
YES journals and checkpoints are part of it
im foggy with the journal
But remember the checkpoint is a record that is taken when teh TPS is synchronised(basicalyl really minimal processing ... ) when this is made it contains inforamtion necessary to restart the system

Now essentailly if we have a backup copy of the system , we can use a program called a Recovery manager
with this we can:
Backward recover: that means we reprocess each transaction , it can help us backout or abort changes made in the most recent transaction
Forward recovery: starts with a backup copy of the system , essentially it will reprocess the transactions from the TIME the backup was created to the present time. so essentially what its doing is kinad reprocessing partial Backups! its faster and mroe accurate than backward recovery

3. Im not too sure , its to do with data warehousing , its how the data is stored i think it means its organised by naming conventions , certain attributes and semantics....... im sorry i mindfucked this definition a bit

4. Data modelling is the Collective term for identifiyng entities , relationsihp between these entities and attributes of these entities
now this INCLUDES
SCHEMAS :
SCHEMATIC DIAGRAMS
okay let me direct you to this thread
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=29092

5. Tp Monitors.. pfft i doubt it but they are basically softawre used to manage the TP application programs , they manage the transaction i think they ensure Atomicitiy. But um they also provide an interface between the input devices.. e.g ATM

Sorry i couldnt be of any more help ... consult FatMuscle's notes they are pretty choca on this stuff
and some of the stuff you asked is very uncommon anyway.. but still better not take a chance... heh

Gr|mReaper

2. Isn't recovery like using mediums like magnetic tape, CD ROM, ZIP, online/offline storage etc?

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
Consolidation just refers to the issue that data warehousing brings together all the information stored in various data formats and structures from an organisation into a single data store.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)