Help pls =D "Explain tension btween community and individual within criminal system" (1 Viewer)

kennyx88

HSC
"Explain the tension between community interests and individual rights and freedoms within the criminal justice system"

I've dropped down a few points as I'm aiming to talk about the main processes of the system such as investigation, charge and sentence.

However I'm struggling with the word tension and I believe this question was from 2011 HSC Paper?

Thnx for your help guys =D

HSC
Re: Help pls =D "Explain tension btween community and individual within criminal syst

Tension really refers to the competing interests of people within the criminal justice system. What may be seen as necessary to protect community interests can compromise the rights and freedoms of individuals and vice versa, therefore leading to different perceptions of justice and just outcomes. A good example may be the anti-terrorism legislation and the Haneef case, which is the tension between the individual's right to freedom and the state's need to protect society from harm, as well as bail and remand, which is a similar concept. Good luck with it! :)

enoilgam

HSC
Re: Help pls =D "Explain tension btween community and individual within criminal syst

Tension really refers to the competing interests of people within the criminal justice system. What may be seen as necessary to protect community interests can compromise the rights and freedoms of individuals and vice versa, therefore leading to different perceptions of justice and just outcomes. A good example may be the anti-terrorism legislation and the Haneef case, which is the tension between the individual's right to freedom and the state's need to protect society from harm, as well as bail and remand, which is a similar concept. Good luck with it! :)
This sums it up extremely well.

kennyx88

HSC

Thanks heaps =D That statement about tension helps grouping my ideas and is it a MUST to comment on the effectiveness of the criminal justice system?
Hmmmm .... much appreciated =D

enoilgam

HSC

Thanks heaps =D That statement about tension helps grouping my ideas and is it a MUST to comment on the effectiveness of the criminal justice system?
Hmmmm .... much appreciated =D
Do only as the question asks - commenting on the effectiveness of the law is not needed here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)