Pls help

I am doing BSc/BA
Sem 1
MATH 1001
MATH1002
PSYC 1001
ECON1001
EMCT 1010

Are these units alright??? I got accepted, but when I double check the student guide booklet it says that 24 junior credit points are required for science, excluding maths. And not more than 18 junior credit points from art.
I'm planning for a major in economic for BA and major in finance maths for BSc.
Do I need to change my units of study???

Thanks

izzy88

HSC
http://sydney.edu.au/handbooks/scie..._bachelor_of_science_bachelor_of_arts_4_years

attached is the link with an example course guide for a BA/BSc.

They recommend doing more science units in first year, and arts later, however I don't see a problem if you do it in a slightly different order so long as you still get all the required subjects done (eg. they seem to want you to do more of the science first, and do most of your arts major in 4th year, but switching this isn't necessarily a problem). However if you are really concerned it might be good to talk to an academic advisor or someone in the faculty of science as they administer the degree.

You just have to make sure you don't get caught out with your science subjects and the progression of them. Plan your degree pretty carefully.

edit: "a minimum of 24 credit points of Junior units of study from at least two Science subject areas other than Mathematics and Statistics." thus at some point you will also have to do some junior science subjects that aren't maths, but I don't see why you couldn't do them second year, or second semester first year (if they run).

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm still trying to comprehend the whole "no more than 18 junior credit points from any one Arts subject area."

Is this suggesting that an Economics major is impossible considering the 24cp worth of junior units are all from the same subject area?

Bear_Phantom

HSC
I am very confused about this point as well, because for an economic major you need to complete ECON 1001, ECON 1002, ECMT 1010 and ECMT 1020. which in total of 24 credit points. I really need to talk to them. But they ain't answering my emails.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I am very confused about this point as well, because for an economic major you need to complete ECON 1001, ECON 1002, ECMT 1010 and ECMT 1020. which in total of 24 credit points. I really need to talk to them. But they ain't answering my emails.
Call them.

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
I think you should be fine. Take a look at the abbreviations. You can see that they're different. ECON is short for 'economics' and my guess is that ECMT is short for 'econometrics'. The abbreviations are different, so they should count as different subject areas. But, that's just my guess and the best answer should come from the faculty themselves.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you should be fine. Take a look at the abbreviations. You can see that they're different. ECON is short for 'economics' and my guess is that ECMT is short for 'econometrics'. The abbreviations are different, so they should count as different subject areas. But, that's just my guess and the best answer should come from the faculty themselves.
I have a feeling that isn't right. If you search Economics under subject areas, the ECMT units are also present. See the following link:

http://sydney.edu.au/handbooks/arts/subject_areas/economics.shtml

izzy88

HSC
i think this is right. Generally if there are different codes (ECON vs ECMT) it means they are different subject areas (even if they are required for one major).

izzy88

HSC
I have a feeling that isn't right. If you search Economics under subject areas, the ECMT units are also present. See the following link:

http://sydney.edu.au/handbooks/arts/subject_areas/economics.shtml
the "no more than 18 junior credit points from one subject area" is a requirement in a normal BA as well as the BA/Bsc. If ECON and ECMT counted as one subject area, no one would be able to do it. I reckon its fine. http://sydney.edu.au/handbooks/arts/coursework/b_arts.shtml

Bear_Phantom

HSC

EMCT is for Business and Economic Statistics, they are essential in order to get into a major for economic. But they are 24 credit points in total. :(

Bear_Phantom

HSC
6 Requirements for award

(3)
To qualify for the award of the Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts, a candidate must successfully complete 192 credit points, comprising:
(a)
a minimum of 96 credit points from Science subject areas, including:
(i) a major from Science subject areas listed in Table 1; and
(ii) a minimum of 12 credit points from the Science subject areas of Mathematics and Statistics; and
(iii) a minimum of 24 credit points of Junior units of study from at least two Science subject areas other than Mathematics and Statistics.
(b)
a minimum of 72 credit points of Senior units of study in Arts subject areas from Table A, including:
(i) a major from Arts subject areas listed in Table A;
(ii) no more than 18 junior credit points from any one Arts subject area; and
(iii) and ensuring no more than 60 Senior credit points from any one Arts subject area.

So, according to the courses that i have enrolled to... I am not qualified for the award?!

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
EMCT is for Business and Economic Statistics, they are essential in order to get into a major for economic. But they are 24 credit points in total. :(
If you call the faculty tomorrow, they'll redirect you to the best person to answer your question.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
i might go to the faculty of science info office and ask. Thanks btw :)
If the issue is with the Arts component of the degree, it's best you contact the Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences rather than the Faculty of Science.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)