Help..plz! (1 Viewer)

borkis04

You have been blocked.
Arse of the World, Syd being the arsehole :D
HSC
Hey guys..well ive retyped my trials answer for BR/BNW and well..i was trying to put 'more' in it..but i cant seem to find any paragraphs or lines that i could take out or summarise!..if anybody could help ill take on board anything! i know its a tad late :p..but i was trying to improve it as i got 16/20 in the trial for it :|

im trying to keep it around the 1000 word mark..coz i know i can write that in the time given :D...Thanks guys if you could help!

Brave New World & Blade Runner

It is evident in Aldous Huxley’s dystopic novel Brave New World and Ridley Scott’s futuristic vision Blade Runner that they both show a large gap between humanity and the natural world leading to a bleak and vacuous race. Both texts are shaped by context and purpose through the effective use of satire, irony, characterization and setting, language and camera techniques. I found that the knowledge of the composer’s context and purpose is important for the critical study of texts.

BNW was composed by Huxley at a time plagued by totalitarian regimes, nations striving for economic efficiency during the Great Depression, technological advancements and post WWI issues. This context gives a base for Huxley to educate us as oblivious responders about the concern for humanity in the future. He takes the stance that the human race, naturally finds away to understand something, and then control it! Aldous’s purpose was to express his concerns of a “World State” of such a ‘stable” society without the “unbalanced” interaction between humans and nature. Totalitarian regimes such as Stalin and Mussolini in Europe showed society of such an autocratic, uncompassionate society with no interaction with nature.

Scott immediately pans a dark 2019 Los Angeles in which the sky is black, smouldering with smog from industries shooting pollution below. The deteriorating Earth is then transposed on an eye. We see Scott’s warning to us and the warning of the 1980s where global warming and environmental concerns were more evident as a result of man’s increasing demands for resources. Scott tries to convey to us that to solve the imbalance, we should care and nurture nature whilst increasing our demand for agricultural goods. A few scenes after the panning of the overview city of LA, we are on the city streets. It is clear that there is chaos, dirty, seedy streets with a lack of natural light. It is depressing! This is juxtaposed with a blimp in the dark sky describing a “beautiful place of opportunity”, of the Off-world colonies. This is in stark contrast to the deteriorating Earth. Scott poses us the question; do we want to live on Earth where there is a dominance of human technology over the natural environment? Through the contrast, our answer is immediately no! He warns us of the consequence of the imbalance in order for us to nurture nature more.

Scott’s purpose is to express awareness for the future of such a naïve society which abuses the ecologically sustainable use of resources and what effect this has on humanity. Taking a different attitude, Scott’s concern relies more on the depressing state the world might be in if we do not use natural resources carefully. The opening shot in the film defines Scott’s purpose that is additionally shaped by the concerning context.

The opening chapter of BNW is as much disturbing as the opening scene for BR. The first paragraph using such sophisticated language ponders confusion in the responders mind. A building described as “squat” and being “34 stories” intrigues the responder by the exaggeration, what it seems, has been used for us to then imagine about rapid industrialization that was apparent in the context of Huxley. The clinical perfection of the laboratories in the conditioning lab imposes the context of scientific advancement and hygiene which was starting to occur prevalent at such a time. This scientific and factual description sets the responders mind to adjust to Huxley’s underlying current of ‘humanity striving for perfection’, or “Community. Identity. Stability”, in being the World State’s motto.

BNW introduces the replacement of the symbol of God, with the new Ford, in which Mustapha Mond is the undisputed leader. Henry Ford was the discoverer of mass production and efficiency and rapid industrialisation. Mass production is also depicted by the Borkanovsky process and conditioning. Newborns were nominated to a predestined caste in the system of classes to ensure this “stability” of the World State. Particular social classes would perform of particular social activities which was the same influence Karl Marx had over Russia in the context of the time.

Both texts involve a new godly figurehead, as being Tyrell and Mustapha Mond, which impose irony in the two texts. Tyrell is imperfect, yet he leads such a ‘perfect’ world, and Mond who ironically reads emotional stimulating books and references crating irrational response. Ironic because it is said to be “unstable” and is therefore banned, yet their World State leader learns from them.

The imposition of the Savage Reservation in BNW is a technique used by Huxley in order to relate the responder to the text. He attracts the audience so they can be educated by possible concerns that the future may possibly hold for humanity. The Savage Reservation is an off-world state that occupies the ‘rebels’ of society. These people, such as John the Savage, read emotionally stimulating Shakespeare works and interact often with nature. It is ironic because “…in the end, nature balances itself out…” on the Savage Reservation, but where there are no natural rhythms present in the World State, it is apparently ‘unstable’ even thought it is heavily monitored and controlled.

Amongst the mostly Asian population of Los Angeles, Deckard and Rachael boast an emotive ‘love’ for each other. It is satirical and ironic that two replicants show such a romantic love even though ‘Nexus 6’ replicants cannot be programmed to express compassion and empathy. It is through the strategic planting of the unicorn origami in the closing shot that we find out that Deckard is in fact a replicant!

Summing up, both utopia texts seem to show through a number of techniques raised by the composers’ giving awareness to the concerns that unbuckle the natural rhythms and ‘in the wild’ that were heavily shaped by context. It is through the knowledge of context and purpose of the composer that us as responders fully understand the two texts that share common, but at the same time, contrasting concerns.

serge

HSC
"Amongst the mostly Asian population of Los Angeles"
unless you're gonna make a point about this, dont add this

"1980s where global warming and environmental concerns "
Im not sure if this is true? You might fool a few english teachers,
unless they were alive in the 80s and heard nothing of global warming

Last edited:

borkis04

You have been blocked.
HSC
Thanks mate!

serge said:
"Amongst the mostly Asian population of Los Angeles"
unless you're gonna make a point about this, dont add this

"1980s where global warming and environmental concerns "
Im not sure if this is true? You might fool a few english teachers,
unless they were alive in the 80s and heard nothing of global warming

ahh k..

yeah i summarised a paragraph into jsut a sentence...and so ive shortened it a little...thansk serge 4 ur help!
much appreciated!
good luck in ur exams eh!

serge

HSC
one more thing...this little quote is complete bullshit...

"Particular social classes would perform of particular social activities which was the same influence Karl Marx had over Russia in the context of the time."

Sorry for being rude, but Marx wanted to create
a "classless" society... and Russia (and like 10 surrounding states were called the USSR back then)

Marx didnt have much influence in Russia or the USSR,
because Lenin wrote his philosophy based on
Marxism to suit Russian peasants,
because Karl Marx's relied on factory workers rising up
(Russia wasn't very industrialised back then, "horse+cart" technology)

If you really want to mention the USSR use a different topic

EDIT- [but then again, what's the chance that an english
teacher will know all of this historical/ political info...
I think probability is one your side :p]

goodluck in your exams aswell :D

Last edited:

borkis04

You have been blocked.
HSC
Appreciate it! :D

serge said:
one more thing...this little quote is complete bullshit...

"Particular social classes would perform of particular social activities which was the same influence Karl Marx had over Russia in the context of the time."

Sorry for being rude, but Marx wanted to create
a "classless" society... and Russia (and like 10 surrounding states were called the USSR back then)

Marx didnt have much influence in Russia or the USSR,
because Lenin wrote his philosophy based on
Marxism to suit Russian peasants,
because Karl Marx's relied on factory workers rising up
(Russia wasn't very industrialised back then, "horse+cart" technology)

If you really want to mention the USSR use a different topic

EDIT- [but then again, what's the chance that an english
teacher will know all of this historical/ political info...
I think probability is one your side :p]

goodluck in your exams aswell :D
haha yeh i just realised that just b4 so i took it out altogether!

yeh mate no dramas for being rude...u werent as it was 'constructive criticism'...thansk 4 that aye!

good luck in ur exams once again..but by what uve told me..ull have no problems in modern history!
..or english for that matetr! :p

hav a good 1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)