help teh newbie (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
ok more help needed

speaking test on monday! i have to bring in photos and talk about my family and holidays.

on my dad's side (in the photo) i have 3 aunties, 1 uncle - 2 are dad's older sisters, one is dad's younger sister, and the uncle is dad's older brother

so would i refer to the aunties like this?

"kore wa chichi no oneesan desu. kore mo chichi no oneesan desu. soshite, kore wa chichi no imootosan desu"

what im trying to say is "this is my dad's older sister. this is also my dad's older sister. and this is my dad's younger sister."

is that right :-/

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Well, since they are technically your own family, you have to refer to them with the "humble" words.

"chichi no ane"
"chichi no imooto"

etc.

snoopy05

HSC
corect me if im wrong, but i think its much better to use :

kono hito wa chichino ... rather than kore,
and after u use kono hito, refer to the other person as sono, then ano,
but maybe its just me.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm ok, I didn't want to become too complicated but I guess I have to.

The differences between ko(no), so(no), and a(no) are ONLY perceived distance. If all the people in the photograph are within the same plane (ie next to each other) then you can't differentiate them with distance words because no one person is further than any other person. If, however, it's a distance shot with an aunt in the foreground and a cousin way over there in the background, then yes you can do that.

Keep in mind Nancy's only in her second semester of Japanese so she hasn't got all that much to work with.

Anyway, the way I'd personally do it is:

"the person on my father's left hand side is his younger sister, and the person on his right hand side is also his younger sister. The one behind him is his younger brother".

I'm not going to translate it though, because that's your job (and I've forgotten how to say "--- hand side").

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)