Help! Time zone questions (1 Viewer)

Scanorama

HSC
Greetings, I'm doing some questions from the textbooks about the timezones. The answers I got is not the same as the textbook one, can someone please help?

Question 1:
A plane leaves Sydney (32ºS, 150ºE) at 2:00pm on Tuesday. If it is an 18 hour flight to Los Angeles (33ºN, 120ºW), at what time will the plane touch down in Los Angeles?

The answer I got is 2:00pm Tuesday but the textbook's answer is 4:00pm Wednesday.

Question 2:
A plane leaves Perth (32ºS, 120ºE) on an 8 hour flight to Cape Town (33ºS, 15ºE) at 3:00pm Wednesday.
a. At what time will the plane arrive in Cape Town?

The answer I got for this one is 4:00pm Wednesday and the book's is 2:00pm Wednesday

Thanks in advance :)

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
150-120= 30

15 degrees = 1hr

30/15= 2hrs
hence 2pm + 2more hrs gives you 4hrs?
is that right?

edit "4pm"

Last edited:

Sickle

Hello Sunshine
HSC
Time zones are shoit!!

Was that from a paper or the text book??

Berkay_D

HSC
Oi that question u did about Sydney and Los Angeles
I got 2pm on tuesday aswell
i remember because its from the text book we use.
dont worry about it, its most likely a text book mistake.

Ezzmaye

HSC
N/A
Funnily enough, the text books aren't ALWAYS right. I often find that I get the right answer (my teacher tells me it's right), when in the back of the book, it says I'm wrong. Don't worry bout it. Ask a teacher on Monday or sumthin

Scanorama

HSC
Thanks heaps everyone :):) The questions were indeed from the textbook, the Jacaranda one, the answers from the back of the book are always wrong....
Thanks once again :)

Happeninchick

Gilmore Girl
HSC
Gough Whitlam said:
Greetings, I'm doing some questions from the textbooks about the timezones. The answers I got is not the same as the textbook one, can someone please help?

Question 1:
A plane leaves Sydney (32ºS, 150ºE) at 2:00pm on Tuesday. If it is an 18 hour flight to Los Angeles (33ºN, 120ºW), at what time will the plane touch down in Los Angeles?

The answer I got is 2:00pm Tuesday but the textbook's answer is 4:00pm Wednesday.

Question 2:
A plane leaves Perth (32ºS, 120ºE) on an 8 hour flight to Cape Town (33ºS, 15ºE) at 3:00pm Wednesday.
a. At what time will the plane arrive in Cape Town?

The answer I got for this one is 4:00pm Wednesday and the book's is 2:00pm Wednesday

Thanks in advance :)
Question 1 - why can't we just minus 18 hours away from 2:00pm Sydney time? I AM REALLY CONFUSED NOW!!!!

Scanorama

HSC
Happeninchick said:
Question 1 - why can't we just minus 18 hours away from 2:00pm Sydney time? I AM REALLY CONFUSED NOW!!!!
Spot on, thats a much quicker way to do that question. I did the question in that way before but when I checked the answer of the book, it said im wrong so I went over again and did the question again in the long way....

Happeninchick

Gilmore Girl
HSC
Gough Whitlam said:
Spot on, thats a much quicker way to do that question. I did the question in that way before but when I checked the answer of the book, it said im wrong so I went over again and did the question again in the long way....
But doesn't minusing 18 hours away from 2:00pm give us the wrong time? So how do you work it out... How did you guys even get 2:00pm tuesday? Because if you minus 18 hours away from 2:00pm tuesday... you get... 8:00pm Monday night? It doesn't stipulate in the question that we are to cross the International Date Line either... You see how I am confused now!! LOL SORRY TO DO THIS TO YOU ALL.... :(

theVirus

HSC
Prft!

Ok. It is 2pm Tuesday afternoon.
It is an 18 hour flight from Sydney to L.A.
L.A. is 150 + 120 degrees away = 270 degrees.
270 divided by 15 = 18.
That is, L.A. is 18 hours behind Sydney time.

Now, equate the times.
It is 2pm in Sydney, L.A. is 18 hours behind.
so the time in L.A. when you leave Sydney is: 8pm Monday afternoon.

It is going to take you 18 hours to get from Sydney to L.A. We want to know the time we land in L.A. in L.A. time. So, lets say we leave Sydney at 8pm Monday night (Because that is what time it is in L.A. when it is 2pm in Sydney).

Add your trip time, 18 hours, to 8pm Monday, and you get 2pm Tuesday afternoon in L.A.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
yeh i did it too and i cant see how its any other answer..
unless something involves the date line being crossed and you minus something.. but yeh i dunno
what you need to do is figure out the time in ur destination country at the time you leave your home country (using 15 degrees= 1 hour) then figure out that plus whatever time it takes to travel for these types of questions.. you cant just minus 18 hours from sydney time because thats just half of the process..
thank god its only like 2 marks in the hsc though hehe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)