Help to get 99+ (1 Viewer)

gm

HSC
Hi

I'd really like to achieve a UAI of 99.4+ to get into combined law. I goto a reasonably good state school and am a very capable student. If i were choosing subjects again, i'd do Ext Eng, Ext Mat, Chem, Phys, Econ... But oh well...

My subjects are:
Mathematics
English Advanced
Physics
Economics
Business Studies
German Beginners

I'm currently in year 11. Do you think i have a chance at 99+?
How much should i be studying? What books (excel etc) should i buy? Any tips etc?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Year 11 is a practice. Doesn't count for anything. Play around with different study techniques and see what suits you. I wouldn't recommend buying excel guides for prelim as its only 3 terms long.
Also by the time you apply for uni combined law at Sydney Uni will most probably be upwards of 99.9+ it wen't from 99.4 to 99.6 this year, will probably go up to 99.7/8 this year. So don't aim for a UAI- aim for your best.

kini mini

HSC
You do indeed have a chance at getting 99+ if you get good enough marks.

Originally posted by YEAR12
Also by the time you apply for uni combined law at Sydney Uni will most probably be upwards of 99.9+ it wen't from 99.4 to 99.6 this year, will probably go up to 99.7/8 this year. So don't aim for a UAI- aim for your best.
The required UAI for combined law at Sydney can't go much higher than 99.7 from demand pressure, only a supply cut could drive it to greater than 99.75 I reckon. There simply aren't that many people in the state getting high UAIs who put Sydney as their first preference. Further supply cuts don't seem likely either, unless they are in favour of full fee paying students. But the public outcry against this would be tremendous.

timmii

sporadic attendee
They were considering dumping combined law programs at usyd/unsw in the near future...the UAIs are unsustainable and they don't consider the undergrads well enough prepared for the rigours of law....but thats just a rumour.

GM - theres been a month of year 11...you can still change your subjs! Rather do it now than regret it in 18months :) I admire your eagerness...i only discovered these forums *ahem* after *ahem* hsc.... :eek:

bobo123

HSC
Originally posted by gm
Hi

If i were choosing subjects again, i'd do Ext Eng, Ext Mat, Chem, Phys, Econ... But oh well...
its only middle way through 1st term
im sure you can appeal to change your subjects
and catching up wouldnt be too hard either

but yeah, 11 is bludge compared to 12 so you might as well enjoy one of the best years of school.

gm

HSC
I like my subjects, but i see the Selective School students doing (ExtEng, ExtMat, Phys, Chem, Econ)...

My subjects are well rounded. But the other ones scale better.

What do you think is a better option. Keep subjects or change?

bobo123

HSC
screw the selective people
screw scaling

enjoy life, you are too young

:p

and i thought beginner languages scaled crappo anyway

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Yeah, you can certainly get that UAI... but my advice for now is not to worry about it too much. People who go too far into it in the beginning usually end up nor caring by the time the HSC rolls around because they are just sick of it, and a bit disullusioned that they have done so much work and hav so far gotton very little in return....work at it of course, so that the HSC doesn't come as a shock, but don't start stressing yet-there is still about a year and a half left for that!;)

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by gm
I like my subjects, but i see the Selective School students doing (ExtEng, ExtMat, Phys, Chem, Econ)...

My subjects are well rounded. But the other ones scale better.

What do you think is a better option. Keep subjects or change?
I did Ext Eng, Ext Maths, Phys, Chem, Econ and French in year 11. It was a somewhat busy year :p.

I think that you might as well change subjects now if you are worried about not getting the marks - you can always drop them later on if you find that you don't like them for whatever reason.

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by YEAR12

true, aim for ur best. but from what i heard, dont worry abt the uai cut-off at usyd. they generally accept ppl below the uai cut-off. diff unis use uais in diff ways. at unsw, the uai cut-off is the lowest uai that gets into the course. at usyd, the cut-off indicates the lowest uai they want in that course, but then they realise that all the seats arent filled up. so, they accept students even below thatcut-off.
eg : the cut-off for software engg this yr was 94 something, but a friend of mine who got 91.2 got into software :)

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by Da Monstar

true, aim for ur best. but from what i heard, dont worry abt the uai cut-off at usyd. they generally accept ppl below the uai cut-off. diff unis use uais in diff ways. at unsw, the uai cut-off is the lowest uai that gets into the course. at usyd, the cut-off indicates the lowest uai they want in that course, but then they realise that all the seats arent filled up. so, they accept students even below thatcut-off.
eg : the cut-off for software engg this yr was 94 something, but a friend of mine who got 91.2 got into software :)
That friend may have been on eas. Or fee paying.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by timmii

That friend may have been on eas. Or fee paying.
If you had the guts to wait until the late round, you could get into USyd combined law with 98 (maybe even lower, I heard someone from my school did that).

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by muldersgun
yup it did move up to 99.75.

Anybody care to explain?
Say 3 ppl gave up their places for law...demand is still high leading to a rise in uai required...

What i dont understand though, is why if u *have* 99.75, u didnt get in first round....:confused: How many ppl r changing their minds with *that* high a uai???

aznchickie

Originally posted by gm
Hi

I'd really like to achieve a UAI of 99.4+ to get into combined law. I goto a reasonably good state school and am a very capable student. If i were choosing subjects again, i'd do Ext Eng, Ext Mat, Chem, Phys, Econ... But oh well...

My subjects are:
Mathematics
English Advanced
Physics
Economics
Business Studies
German Beginners

I'm currently in year 11. Do you think i have a chance at 99+?
How much should i be studying? What books (excel etc) should i buy? Any tips etc?
remember theres other ways to get into law...you can get in in other ways than the uai...and someone else said that youll probably give up by the time the hsc comes...i dont agree with that...i started working hard in yr 11 and am still going...but yr11s a good year to expereiment with different study techniques. and if you ask your head maths teacher if you can stil get into 3U maths, maybe hell let you because i got transferred from 2U into 3U at the end of term 1 and found out that i havent really missed out on a lot, only a chapter.

timmii

sporadic attendee
Re: Re: Help to get 99+

Originally posted by aznchickie

remember theres other ways to get into law...you can get in in other ways than the uai...and someone else said that youll probably give up by the time the hsc comes...i dont agree with that...i started working hard in yr 11 and am still going...but yr11s a good year to expereiment with different study techniques. and if you ask your head maths teacher if you can stil get into 3U maths, maybe hell let you because i got transferred from 2U into 3U at the end of term 1 and found out that i havent really missed out on a lot, only a chapter.
at my school, for start of year 11 the first term in 3u maths was 2u maths stuff only. That way if ppl wanted to drop from 3u they hadnt wasted too much time and were still in sync with the 2u class....and the 2u ppl who wanted to move in the other direction, weren't far behind.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by timmii
i thought it went up to 99.75 in late round???
?! Damn the grapevine :p. I suppose he must have paid then.

at my school, for start of year 11 the first term in 3u maths was 2u maths stuff only. That way if ppl wanted to drop from 3u they hadnt wasted too much time and were still in sync with the 2u class....and the 2u ppl who wanted to move in the other direction, weren't far behind.
It was similar for 4U, we didn't start 4U material until later in first term 2002.

bobo123

HSC
if i pay, do i pay the full fee or can i just pay a lesser amount and get accepted with a lower uai?

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by bobo123
if i pay, do i pay the full fee or can i just pay a lesser amount and get accepted with a lower uai?
No such luck, you have to pay the full amount. Half upfront at the start of each semester.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)