HELP!!- u don't get why one gene-one protein... (1 Viewer)

~k8t~

I don't understand why the "one gene-one protein" hypothesis was changed to the "one gene - one polypeptide"??
can anyone help??
:confused:

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
a gene codes for a polypeptide

and then many polypeptides make up proteins

therefore, one gene does not code for one protein

swordfish

1. Genes code for many proteins that are not enzymes
2. Proteins consist of two or more polypeptides joined together. Each polypeptide is made from instructions from a different gene-coded for by a different gene.

psycho_mushy

HSC
"one genes is the portion of the DNA specifiyin a single polypeptide chain. Several genes are usually required to specify the enzymes involved in biochemical processes, even the mose simple pathways"

malkin86

HSC
with play-dough and string.
show the dna unzipping (maybe also the nuclear membrane), show the ribosome, the t-RNA and the m-RNA, the GCAT's, and the polypeptide chain (hence the string). Take a photo too, it'll last longer than the playdough.

TheKing

um.... i have a really good diagram of it but i don't own a scanner and would need to go and use school scanner...
so if your desperately confused
i can make a copy for you

TheKing

and the answer to the question is that, all proteins are made of polypeptides but some may require multiple chains of polypeptides bonded together therefore "one gene one polypeptide" or "one or more genes one protein"

a gene is a segment of DNA that specifies the base sequence for one polypeptide....

hope that cleared it up a little

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)