help, what are we doing with A Dolls Hosue exactly (1 Viewer)

nousernameleft

HSC
do we explore how context affects our understanding, or is it just a critical

analysis of the play's themes?

some people see Nora as a victim of society yet some see both Torvald and Nora as victims, do we analyze it offering our opinions

or

do we say a 19C audience looks at Nora like a 'freak' for lack of a better word right now and a 21st C audience sees her as a liberationist

which approach do we take?

if anybody could write a sample paragraph that would be great

klaris

HSC
Well I just finished an analysis on A Doll's House for English and all I said is that Ibsen challenges the traditional roles of men and women in society and that Nora is seen as "victim", also that it foreshadows the roles of the 1950s American housewife.
That just some brief ideas that you could elaborate on though.
Hope it helps

tlelover91

HSC
What I think we have to do... and I could be wrong is to describe the major themes in the text and also the context and why a 19th Century play is still relevant to today's society.

You would obviously have to describe main characters (Torvald, Nora, Krogstad and Kristine) and what there roles in the play are. For example Krogstad and Kristine who are really secondary characters help to bring the plot forward. Without Kristine, we wouldn't have realised that Nora had taken out a loan behind Torvald's back and without Krogstad, Torvald would have never found out and Torvald and Nora would still be playing happy family.

Hope I helped there. I really don't have a clue about what I'm doing either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)