HELP - which notebook ? Apple or Dell (1 Viewer)

Ex_Oblivion

HSC
HmM - sadly, im not an IT freak - so i need guidance in what type of notebook to get ...

Im tossing up between the:

iBook G4 14'
Powerbook G4 12'
Dell Inspiron 6000
Dell Inspiron 700

I had the Thinkpad in the list for a bit but a friend told me to scratch it? Hehe, the fingerprint security on it was hectic but .. If anyone can help me - you're a legend! Need any other info? Like specs and pricing well ... Pricing - they all range from $2000 - $2500 -

Thanks a much!!

Ex_Oblivion

HSC
apple notebooks are sexy!! their so sleek and fi-inee;

ive always been a Windows user - so i figured why not try something new ? and its interface - i have played around with a Mac before!

but like id like value for my money - so just want to see which one is better performance wise, memory, display and etc ..

Collin

HSC
N/A
I'm contemplating a Dell 6000 myself. At the moment I think they are doubling your RAM & enhancing CDRW/DVD to a DVD+/-RW for free.. so you can get a nice widescreen WUXA 15.4in 2.0GHz Centrino, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD notebook for around $2,500. If you're into power also, go to Officeworks, Harvey Norman, Dick Smith etc. and they've got an Acer of the exact same specs for $1,999, which is great too because one dollar over $1,999 and the extended warranty costs for those stores jumps quite a bit.. (generally for extended warranties the prices are staple for $1000-$1999, $2000-$2999 etc.)

Go for Apple if you're used to using them. I personally have nothing against Apple products (hey, love the iPod right?) but I've barely used them in my life (except for maybe Kids Pix erm.. in year 3) so it's not really feasible in terms of effort and productivity for me to get one now.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
^ Same here.. I barely used Macs except for in primary school to play with Kid Pix, Widget Workshop, Thinkin Things, and Glider... Can't believe I still remember those programs.

Anyhow, if you're familiar with mac OS and all your stuff will work well with it- go for that. I personally am a Windows-user, and all 6 PC's in my house are DELL now. If you want a tip- go into the small business section and look for hot deals there; they seem to be cheaper than the other specials (eg. TV) and IIRC there's no delivery charge; it's built into the price. Or if you can wait a bit, try signing up for their weekly email of specials and then buy using that.

Btw it also depends what you want to use it for. 6000 is good if you plan to leave it at home more often than taking it with you I think whereas the 700 is more portable? I personally have an 8600 (grrr bought it Christmas time JUST before 6000 came out) but the 15.4" screen is beautiful to use and work with; although the laptop is a tad on the heavy side (which is ok since 99% of the time it's sitting on my desk; unless I choose to use it on my lap whilst watching TV)...

Ninga

HSC
I've got the Dell 700m. Its fair small and light, being just under 2kg, and having a 12" screen. So if you expect to be taking it on the move a lot, then its awesome for that. The thing with Dells is that you need to be patient and wait out until a good deal comes around. I think I had the double ram and double your HD deal when i got mine, along with the Bigpond offer that was around at the time, giving me $400 off. I think there might be some coupons around still, check out www.whirlpool.net.au, i think theres a few threads on Dell laptops. The 6000 is cheaper, bigger screen, i guess better if you dont expect to be on the move all the time, but still portable enough to not be that much of a hassle when you do need to move it. I guess it comes down to what you want to use the laptop for.

I havent had anything to do with the Apples so i wouldnt be able to tell you anything about them. Good luck choosing :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Btw how have you guys found your Dell PCs? I really like it how Dell offers stuff which premium brands would usually offer (eg. the personalised update service, automatic updates, tech support, tech support forums, etc..) but at a price which is nearly as cheap as clones (but with a good warranty). The only concern I have with my 8600 is it can burn your legs (well.. it feels like it might) after a few hours of sitting on the lap.

malkin86

HSC
The main difference between the Powerbook and the iBook that will matter to you is if you wanna burn DVDs or not - the Powerbook will, the iBook won't.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Each of the laptops mentioned has its pros and cons.

With the Apple ones, get them if you're used to Apple. Otherwise the learning curve could get a bit steep. The Powerbook might be smaller but should have more powerful components, but they do come at a premium compared with the iBook. It's a choice between performance and price (and screen size).

With the Dells, the 700m might be lighter and smaller, but its battery life is rather shocking. It does however offer exceptional performance for such a small laptop, but is no match to the 6000. If you can bear weight and size of the 6000, it is an exceptional laptop for its price. As JKDDragon said, with the deals you could have a very powerful laptop relatively cheaply, with top end components bar graphics (but the 128MB X300 isn't bad for the casual gamer).

With laptops getting hot, due to restricted size it's normal, even though the TDP is lower. I'd be surprised if you didn't do some sort of damage by having your laptop on your lap for a few hours. And yes, the 8600 can burn you.

Ex_Oblivion

HSC
Thankkss! - Hehe, i still havent come to a decision yet .. and i think im going hunting this weekend! [ Bad move *eeK* english exam ]

iBooks can burn DVD's cant they? Im pretty sure they do, they got the SuperDrive instead of the Combo one -

The Dell 6000 - what does that weigh .. ?!

Hm - everyone here sounds like a Windows user .. a friend of mine told me that the processing speed on Macs kill the Intels - like although it says 1.5Ghz when compared to like a Pentium M 2.0 Ghz - it would still beat it .. ?! I dont understand how that works ..

Oh um, the Graphics card - Can somebody tell me the nVidia and Radeon differences ?!

Ex_Oblivion

HSC
xcitin designs? - that name sounds so familiar, do you go to De La Salle? - Or someother? - i was browsing this site this arvo - Winamp Skins and all ?

Asus? .. ? Asus? - Are they like really really good ?

And yeah - I am leaning towards the Apple but as I said - I want value for money .. So I can get Dell .. or Asus?! if I believe id get a better deal ..

Collin

HSC
N/A
Ex_Oblivion said:
I want value for money .. So I can get Dell .. or Asus?! if I believe id get a better deal ..
Value for money I haven't seen many better than the Acer 1644WMLi; Pentium M 760 (2.0Ghz), 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, 15.4in WUXA CrystalBrite screen, integrated wifi..around 2.5kg or so. It's got a shit video card though (I think it's an Radeon X300).. so don't expect to game much on it. It's a business machine.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
nah don't get an iBook, they don't compare the the powerbooks most people have.

Go to an apple store and get one of the clerks to show you it first.

you may be disappointed with the lack of some popular windows software.

Also, you can't merge folders :mad:

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
JKDDragon said:
Value for money I haven't seen many better than the Acer 1644WMLi; Pentium M 760 (2.0Ghz), 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, 15.4in WUXA CrystalBrite screen, integrated wifi..around 2.5kg or so. It's got a shit video card though (I think it's an Radeon X300).. so don't expect to game much on it. It's a business machine.
Acer 1694WMLi comes with same spec except 80GB HD and X700, so if for gaming that would be the one.

The 128MB X300 in the Dell 6000 is actually surprisingly good.

Back to the original question, the Dell website should have information on roughly how much their laptops weigh and dimensions. I don't think there is that much difference between the PowerPC processor (or whichever one used in iBook/PowerMac), a P-M 2.0GHz would certainly be powerful enough for almost everything. The graphics cards are made by either nVidia or ATI, no clear winner but more dependent on which one the laptop has.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Templar said:
Acer 1694WMLi comes with same spec except 80GB HD and X700, so if for gaming that would be the one.

The 128MB X300 in the Dell 6000 is actually surprisingly good.
How much is the 1694WMLi though? Woops, I forgot to say the 1644WMLi was $1999. If it's the same price (or even less), then sure.. 1694WMLi seems the better go then, definitely.

exa_boi87

aka biomic
HSC
I use a 12" iBook ... however dont consider myself inferior or *teenybopper*, as my friends who have 15" and 17" powerbooks are in complete envy over its size and aesthetics. I can say the ibook gets dirty quite easily, along with the notorious apple plastic scratches you're going to get on its surface. (Which can be rectified with a cleaning solution designed for the ibook).

14" iBook is *not* the way to go, as the screen may be bigger, however its the same resolution as the 12". Sure, it does have the DVD burner, but for $100 get an external USB or Firewire one, or go for the 12" Powerbook.

If Powerbook sounds like your thing, hold out a couple of weeks, as there are reports of a silent upgrade to its specificaions (will be the last PowerPC upgrade before Mac turn to Intel Processors), meaning if you purchased one now, and they were upgraded next week, one wouldnt be too pleased, especially after paying a premium for mac hardware.

My recommendation would be this, the Mac hardware is great if you can spare the cash and dont mind a bit of a learning curve. Ive just bought an Athlon desktop PC to complement the mac laptop (which will be used for uni), meaning both platforms have something to offer. OSX (the mac environment) is amazing in comparison to windows though ..

iBook Pros:
Small, cheaper laptop, LONG BATTERY!! (5 odd hours depending on settings), aesthetics, inbuilt bluetooth and airport (wireless .. on later models)
iBook Cons:
Easily dirty and scratched, no *superdrive* (12"), older models notorious for squeking cases

Powerbook Pros:
Beautiful exterior, nicer keyboard (imo), Better specifications, Backlight keyboard (15"), nice screen
Powerbook Cons:
Poor Wireless reception, price, shorter battery life

it really all depends on your budget, but for a portable unit, I highly recommend apple

Ex_Oblivion

HSC
heY! - i have an Athlon PC too! =)

An upgrade really .. ?! - then maybe i should hold on til after exams ?! What kind of upgrade anyway ? Like up to a G5 or something? Is that possible ? - yeah, im not smart.

thanks for all that btw! - you guys are legends

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Ex_Oblivion said:
heY! - i have an Athlon PC too! =)

An upgrade really .. ?! - then maybe i should hold on til after exams ?! What kind of upgrade anyway ? Like up to a G5 or something? Is that possible ? - yeah, im not smart.

thanks for all that btw! - you guys are legends
No you can't upgrade laptops (much)

You can put more memory in it and that's about it.

also, as exa_boi87 mentioned. The screen on powerbooks are much brighter and the keyboard is better. Also, the powerbook is a bit thinner.

EDIT: I'm hesitant to recomend people who have used windows all their life to jump on the Apple bandwagon. It takes time to learn the annoying differences between OSX and windows.

Such as, in OSX when you copy a folder on top another folder it overwrites it rather than merges it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)