HELP - which notebook ? Apple or Dell (1 Viewer)

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
powerbook g4 or ibook g4 - slow my modern standards. But beautiful osx and apple design is durable. Unlike Dell.

Dell 700m is nice. Glossy screen tiny keyboard.

exa_boi87

aka biomic
HSC
Ex_Oblivion said:
heY! - i have an Athlon PC too! =)

An upgrade really .. ?! - then maybe i should hold on til after exams ?! What kind of upgrade anyway ? Like up to a G5 or something? Is that possible ? - yeah, im not smart.

thanks for all that btw! - you guys are legends
Pretty unlikely itll be a G5 .. my guess is a slight processor speed boost and possible a larger standard hard-drive for the 12" .. nothing major is going to happen imo aesthetically until the MacTels are out

iSam

HSC
I'm Going Powerbook

I've been looking for a new notebook lately too and I've decided to go for an Apple Powerbook.

BUT​

They're announcing a new line of Powerbooks on Wednesday, so I'm waiting till then to buy one. Either they'll be better for the same price, or the older ones'll go down.

JimmyK

Narrabeen, Sydney/Maitland, Hunter Valley
HSC
I've got a 15" 1.67Ghz Powerbook with superdrive and I love it! There's so many things I can do on my mac.
I've never really used a PC laptop, but the PowerBook has a very decent battery life for the size of the screen, and the performance it offers. Wireless networking can be a bit temperamental, but at close range to the WAP it works fine. Home networking is a breeze, I plug my laptop into my home or girlfriends wired network, and it works straight off the bat, unlike some Windows laptops where its taken us an hour to get working.

Only con about the powerbook that I've found is that the case is a little soft, and if you drop it and it hits a corner, as it did mine, it will dint - but all the components work still, so its very strong.

Also, dont let the Processor speed influence you on performance. The 1.67Ghz PowerPC chip from IBM is on a different architecture to the ones from Intel and AMD, and I've heard that the G4 found in the iBooks and PowerBooks (and mac minis) can be up to twice as fast anything from Intel - but I think thats a bit over the top. The Ghz's are significantly lower Vs the power you get from them, compared to the Ghz vs Power on an Intel machine.

Ex_Oblivion

HSC
.. hMm - the Dell option is like out the window - and now im going between iBook and Powebook - i keep getting all these different opinions!

Like i would get the Powerbook but i dont want to do that to my dad ... we're not exactly flowing with the money - i gotta make the decision today - am either gonna buy online or go to the Broadway Applecentre ...

The girl i was talkin to on the phone from the Applcentre said the Powerbook is the way to go because it has and i quote "all the hardcore programs" - and btw, im looking to do computer engineering next year ...

Yeah, my friend told me about the difference between the Processors - and the different architecture - ... !! Why are they moving to Intel ..

placebo101

HSC
wait till the end of the week - theres a rumored powerbook update

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Just make sure you are cool with using Mac OS and so on... as much as I wanted to buy my Mum a Mac Mini because Macs are supposed to be alot easier to use- I didn't want any problems to occur with her old stuff so ended up just buying her a Dell.

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
I strongly recommend, if you can afford it, the Apple PowerBook. There is a brand new 15" model with a better resolution and Dual Layer DVD burner standard.
iBooks are great if you aren't doing processor heavy tasks eg general word and internet, but if you want to do serious music/photo/video/design, PowerBook is the way to go.
PowerBook probably will never see the G5 chip due to cooling issues. I suggest you jump in nowto get the proven technology of the PowerPC chip. Another suggestion is to wait till next year if you can resist. Get your uni card and then you get 10% discounts and offers on all mac hardware and software - the laptop that would cost me around 3600 earlier will only cost around 3000 due to options and discount.

THe great thing about mac is that you can also run windows on it too with a program called Virtual PC (not too expensive, can also be easily found on limewire) So you can buy a mac, and still use windows while you learn MacOSX - it is very intuative and you should have many problems getting used to it - what is this folder thing everyone talks about? I use a PowerMac/iBookG3 every day and have never experienced this issue???

HSC
Ex_Oblivion said:
HmM - sadly, im not an IT freak - so i need guidance in what type of notebook to get ...

Im tossing up between the:

iBook G4 14'
Powerbook G4 12'
Dell Inspiron 6000
Dell Inspiron 700

I had the Thinkpad in the list for a bit but a friend told me to scratch it? Hehe, the fingerprint security on it was hectic but .. If anyone can help me - you're a legend! Need any other info? Like specs and pricing well ... Pricing - they all range from $2000 - $2500 -

Thanks a much!!
it really depends on what you want it for...easy guide below:

Apple are useful for:
-General Video Production
-General Music Production
-Image Editing
-Basic Word Processing
-Watching Moives

All other PC's (Windows) are good for:
-Games
-Networking
-Word Processing
-Editing (only if u get a high end machine)
-Net Surfing.

its just my opinion but its fairly accurate id say

Raginsheep

HSC
Seriously, just get a decent, cheap PC laptop. Much better value than the Apple products.

Anywayz, you never actually said what you are going to do with the laptop (as far as I can see). Unless there's good reason why you need an Apple, then the PC is better.

Raginsheep

HSC
Schroedinger said:
Fink, Darwinports, Xcode, all of that, with a fuckin awesome G4 - It owns.

Especially considering I got it free... (It always helps to work at an AppleCentre)
Conflict of interest? ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)