Help with a Permutations Question from Maths in Focus- Margaret Grove (1 Viewer)

bleh1234

HSC
N/A
Find the number of arrangements
possible if x people are
a) in a straight line with 3 people together
b) in a circle with 2 people not together
The answer for a is 3!(x-2)! and the answer for b is (x-3)(x-2)! Can somebody please explain why? Thanks so much :)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
a) Since it doesn't tell you the number of people and only gives you "x", try using a few different numbers to see a pattern.

Eg let x=7
If 7 ppl are in a line and 3 of them are in a group (together) it would be something lik: P P P G G G P
where P is a random person and G are the members of the group. Since the 3Gs make up one group, the total number of groups in the above line is 5 because there's 4 separate Ps and 1 group of 3, so in total it's 4+1 groups which is 5.

If you have 5 groups, firstly find the number of ways they can exist, which is just 5!
Then you arrange the G members in their own separate group who are all toghether, which ca be done 3! ways since there's 3 of the G people.
So in total there are 5! x 3! arrangements for 7 people

Another example: if you have 6 people eg P G G G P P

The Gs need to be together, so that's one group then there's 3 separate groups of P. In total there are 4 groups which can be arranged in 4! ways.
Then the group of 3 G people can be arranged in 3! ways.
So the total number of arrangements is 4! x 3! for 6 people.

Also, if you have 5 people in total there are 3! x 3! arrangements

Using that pattern we can see that for 7 people the tot number of arrangements was 5! x 3! = 3!(7-2)!
and for 6 people it was 4! x 3! = 3!(6-2)!
For 5 people it was 3! x 3! = 3!(5-2)!

so for "x" number of people it will be 3!(x-2)! using the pattern from above.

See if you can do the next part :)

Last edited:

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Also, not sure if you are aware, but ppl on this forum heavily dis Maths In Focus lol

Try to avoid using it :)

bleh1234

HSC
N/A
OOOOOH, i get it now! Thank you so much! :) I wasn't expecting such a concise answer :O
And oops, my bad! I'll keep that in mind for next time :L

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)