Help with Anils Ghost (1 Viewer)

BouncyBrittonie

HSC
Okiday guys! I would really like some help with Anil's Ghost, we have been studying it for most of the term now and well... honestly? Our class is rather confused... ok really confused, and i've had particular trouble actually getting into the book...

And i've been searching around but i can not for the life of me find any information on the text, so anybody! If you have any info or know of any websites plllease post! I really need some help with this, and the rest of my class agrees.

Thanks guys!

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Heya, I did Anil's Ghost so if you have any specific questions to ask I'd be happy to answer them.:)

BouncyBrittonie

HSC
OMG Thank you! I don't have an specifc question yet, but anything you can tell me about themes and characters and well.. anything! would be a great help!

Thank you soooo much!

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
BouncyBrittonie said:
OMG Thank you! I don't have an specifc question yet, but anything you can tell me about themes and characters and well.. anything! would be a great help!

Thank you soooo much!
Well thats kind of 1/3 of the whole course so I can't really congest it all into one post for you:p

However, when doing a close reading of Anil's Ghost an important aspect to consider is how it is told from a non-western perspective with an entirely different set of values. This cultural disparity helps to ask the question of whether Anil's Ghost is really crime fiction as we know it, for after all genre is essentially built on concepts of values (which leads to conventions).

So when reading Anil's Ghost, these are some questions to keep in mind:
1. What makes a text a crime fiction text? Is Anil's Ghost a crime fiction text?
2. How have eastern values (as opposed to western) influenced the text?

Dio-Rama

HSC
on a broad scale anils ghost IS a crime text but on a country size/internationl scale. it reflects the audiences need to explore the world on a wider scale and learn about other cultures etc...
the complexity of the written text reflects the complexity of the actual crime as it changes details the lives of several of the characters as well as the country as ondaatje tells about the bird life and geography as well as the reaction of certain ppl to hte goverment- when the man strangles and then throws the official out the train window as they go thru a tunnel.
when looking at the book notice the crime techniques as a whole- detailing wat anil does with sarath etc.. but also concentrate on several sections individually.
for example when the man is nailed to the road, when he recreates the face of his wife instead of sailor- showing the complexity of the crime and the emotional intanglements of the crime. how the 'war' affects the lives of the ppl.

i have a lot more but more specific q's are needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)