Help with ATARs and university pathways (1 Viewer)

gavrilushka

HSC
My sister is doing her HSC this year and she is very intelligent as I will show you in a moment. However, she was not able to complete her textiles major and her teacher told her she would be lucky if she got a 10/50 for it (harsh, I know). The problem is she spent the whole year with ovarian cysts - one ruptured during her trials. For the month leading up to her majors submissions she was in a lot of pain that she could not physically deal with doing practical work.
For the past 2 weeks she's been having constant panic attacks. I am beginning to believe she may actually have an anxiety disorder, but it's too late now to apply for any access schemes if she does have an anxiety disorder.

Her trial marks and overall ranks are:

English Adv. = 82% ranked 35/62
English Ext 1 = 94% ranked 1/12
English Ext 2 = no trial mark
Modern History = 84% ranked 1/14
Visual Arts = 92% ranked 4/18
Textiles & Design = 75% ranked 7/13

She is looking at doing an International Studies course. The lowest ATAR for that which has German (which she longs to do) is 73 and that course is in UNE. There is also ATAR 80 at Macquarie.
She said she won't mind doing a Bachelor of Arts/M Teaching (secondary) at UWS for 70, Bachelor of Political and International Relations at University of Canberra at 65 or Bachelor of Arts in Newcastle with 60.
I want the best for her, she is worried she won't even get into Newcastle and that she definitely will not get 70. It is so difficult to convince her otherwise. In case worse comes to worse, I want to know the options available to her after school. What are Pathways? Is taking a gap year and doing a Diploma and re-doing some subjects at TAFE a good idea? Are foundation programs worthwhile?
There is another course I saw but it had no ATAR cut off because it was a new course - who can apply for it? Who do they take? Is there a cut off but it's just not shown?

Sorry for all the questions, but I worry for her. She is a smart girl capable of 90 ATAR, but her health and her panic attacks have messed her up I suppose. She always tells me how much she dislikes school and how trapped it makes her feel. Maybe sometimes people are just not meant for that environment?

Lachy4

HSC
N/A
Firstly, it's not too late to apply for EAS (educational access scheme). She certainly sounds eligible. Although on-time applications close tomorrow, you can still apply before Fri 4 Jan 2013.

I think she could still get a decent ATAR with those ranks (probably much higher than 70). It would be helpful if you provided her school's rank for a more accurate estimate.

Regarding the paragraph full of questions, I suggest consulting her school's careers advisor (if possible). There are plenty of alternative entry pathways into uni. Best way to find out more is to look on the website for each uni.

TheOptimist

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲
HSC
Uni Grad
I concur, I'd say she would most definitely get an ATAR of 80+ for her required courses, if you can provide me with her school's ranking I could make it a bit more accurate, even if she does not gain entry to university this year there is always the prospect of TAFE which may take a tad bit longer to get to her desired course, but from what you've provided she look's quite determined and can easily do this. Also you should ring the BOS and ask for disability provisions and if admission into the EAS is still possible, heads up, my sympathy goes toward your sister, i hope she can make it through this :)

gavrilushka

HSC
She got an 81.35 and now has no idea what course or university in Sydney she should go to! Haha, I'm so happy for her. She had a ruptured cyst during her HSC exams, a stomach flu and panic attacks. A word of advice to everyone, don't worry and stress too much because you WILL make yourself sick when you can't afford to be!

tomodachi_

HSC
That is such good news!! Makes me feel silly for thinking I would do bad just because I'm a slow writer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)