Help With Chem As A Subject (1 Viewer)

AirbusA380

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,
Im in year 11 doing chemistry, last year in year 10 i averaged in the 90's for chem but i understand that its different content. However this year im really struggling. I enjoy the subject but quite frankly my results dont show it. Im averaging a 54 overall, failed all my tests but two or three out of like 6. But i feel as if i understand the content and can apply it, but as soon as were given a Neap or insight test, im screwed as our teacher simply goes through the simplified powerpoints (copied out of textbook) and doesnt even really explain it and provide diagrams on the board or anything. Really, the teacher isnt teaching us the content in the same depth/quality as what were being tested on. My question is, is it worthwhile doing next year in year 12, knowing over the summer holidays ill have to re learn all content from semester one. And how much does the content in year 12 rely on the content learned from year 11? I dont want to do it next year to find out that i still really struggle and end up getting a dodgy study score. Any thoughts? Ive complained about the teacher but he simply struggs it off. For example, out of the two class of like 20 odd people, two people in our class passed the mid year exam (crap teacher) and more then 80% passed and got over like 70% in the other class (the class has the teacher that i had for science last year) Thoughts?
Thanks.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Really, the teacher isnt teaching us the content in the same depth/quality as what were being tested on.
This is the thing that most people struggle with when they transition into senior years. You're expected to do a lot more outside study of the course to bring yourself up to the depth/quality of these exam questions. There is a lot of content to get through and if your teacher goes into the depth that you're expecting him to, you're not even gonna come close to finishing the course. And this goes for all your subjects, not just chem.

Chemistry in year 12 only requires you know the chemical concepts from the preliminary course (eg Mole calculations). If you feel like you understand these, then you shouldn't have a problem in HSC chem so long as you're prepared to do a lot of outside study to go into the depth of the subject that your teacher doesn't have time to cover. If you enjoy chemistry, keep it. You can always drop it later if you find it challenging.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys,
Im in year 11 doing chemistry, last year in year 10 i averaged in the 90's for chem but i understand that its different content. However this year im really struggling. I enjoy the subject but quite frankly my results dont show it. Im averaging a 54 overall, failed all my tests but two or three out of like 6. But i feel as if i understand the content and can apply it, but as soon as were given a Neap or insight test, im screwed as our teacher simply goes through the simplified powerpoints (copied out of textbook) and doesnt even really explain it and provide diagrams on the board or anything. Really, the teacher isnt teaching us the content in the same depth/quality as what were being tested on. My question is, is it worthwhile doing next year in year 12, knowing over the summer holidays ill have to re learn all content from semester one. And how much does the content in year 12 rely on the content learned from year 11? I dont want to do it next year to find out that i still really struggle and end up getting a dodgy study score. Any thoughts? Ive complained about the teacher but he simply struggs it off. For example, out of the two class of like 20 odd people, two people in our class passed the mid year exam (crap teacher) and more then 80% passed and got over like 70% in the other class (the class has the teacher that i had for science last year) Thoughts?
Thanks.
Can you afford tutoring?

Machiavelli1

HSC
Oh wow, similarities in our situation are creepy. I had a crap teacher in year 11 as well, who also taught from shitty power points, see if you will have this guy again next year or if it will be a different teacher. Depending on this see if you can change teachers.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)