Help with CO2 soulubility equilibrium (1 Viewer)

funking_you

Dashin_Dan said:
I have very little notes on the CO2 solubility equilibrium. Can anyone help me with this? Any would be great.

Normally i wouldn't do this, however i've attached a worksheet on Equilibrium Systems, it is very simple to understand.
Equilibrium is such an important concept, and once you get the hang of how to apply its concepts, you'll actually enjoy this part of the syllubus.

Read through, and work through the questions, and i guarantee you'll master this concept.

Any more questions, email me at
george@chemistrycoach.com.au

Cheers,
George

Get the worksheet.....

Last edited by a moderator:

funking_you

Glad be of assistance! if you require any help with the exercises in the worksheet just post your questions here

lfc_reds2003

theChemCoach said:
Glad be of assistance! if you require any help with the exercises in the worksheet just post your questions here
ill take u up on that...

H2(g) + I2(g) = 2HI(g) Pressure increased

which side is favoured (aren't there same ratio of moles on each side??)

Danni07

happy little vegemite
HSC
I asked my teacher he said it's almost like a trick question, and the equilibrium doesn't shift

Trev

stix
HSC
aural_sax05;
since the same ratio of moles on both sides, the equilibrium doesn't shift to either side.
correct me if i'm wrong chemcoach, ps. thanx for sheet!

funking_you

Download the EQUILIBRIUM SYSTEM'S document in my early thread.

Pressure and Volume changes only affect GASEOUS equilibrium systems, and if there is an EQUAL amount of gases moles on each side of the reaction, the changes (increase/decreases) have no effect on the equilibrium.

Why?
This is because pressure is directly related to the number of molecules, and hence if there is the same number of molecules (and hence moles) on both sides, the pressure would be just about the same too.

Its not a 'TRICK' question, just examines whether you understand the finer point of equilibriums.

TREV, you got it correct, well done mate!

Keep studying everyone,
George

song

HSC
the solubility of carbon dioxide in water depends on:
- pressure
- temperature

The equilibrium of carbon dioxide in water can be described using the following:
CO2 (g) <=====> CO2 (aq)
CO2(aq)+ H2O(l) <======> H2CO3 (aq)
H2CO3(aq) + H2O(l) <======> HCO3-(aq) + H3O+(aq)
HCO3-(aq) + H2O(l) <=====> H3O (aq)+ + CO3 2- (aq)

now, increasing the pressure means that the equilibrium will shift to the right (as described by Le chat's priniciple) because the sytem wants to decrease the CO2 (g) by dissolving the gas and therefore reducing the pressure of the system.

now, increasing the temperature means that the system favours the endothermic reaction.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
on acidity of the water as well,

as the carbonic acid could react with base...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)