• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Help with first D&T Folio (1 Viewer)

HSC
i am unsure about how to set up a few parts of my folio... these are:
Selection and use of ideas and resources
Research, experiment & testing
Application of conclusions
Record & Application of Evaluations procedures throughout the MDP
Analysis & Evaluation of Functional and Aesthetic aspects of the design
Final Evaluation of the project with respect to the project proposal & the impact on society and the environment

Kay

HSC
Hi... i'm happy to help you with all of that.
I do DT tutoring so if you want, give me a call 0432 922 101.

Kieran

HSC
lilwhicker1991 said:
I am unsure about how to set up a few parts of my folio... these are:
Selection and use of ideas and resources
Research, experiment & testing
Application of conclusions
Record & Application of Evaluations procedures throughout the MDP
Analysis & Evaluation of Functional and Aesthetic aspects of the design
Final Evaluation of the project with respect to the project proposal & the impact on society and the environment
Hello I thought I would try and help you out with these areas I have shocking spelling and grammar but I tried my best of luck with your MDP and when you have finished tell me how long it was

OHK selection and use of ideas and resources is where you need to select appropriate resources and identify their use in the MDP as well as explaining why you choose to use them. You will also need to justify the selection and use of other resources related to the solving of any problems that arose.
You need to write about two resources Non-human and human. Human is all the people who helped along the way from you teacher to parents to guy or lady at hardware store. non-human include all materials you used to create your MDP to get the extra marks in this section you need to justify why you used them e.g. i used scissors to cut the fabric in my project (for the extra marks) because they are sharp and they do the job neatly, precisely and quickly

Research of experimentation and testing is where you need to put both information on both primary and secondary information that you have gathered. Primary is collected when the research is done first hand and it only exists because the researcher collected it secondary is obtained from other peoples research e.g. videos magazine and so on. you should you use a range on research techniques e.g. surveys, questionaries, internet, interviews, observations etc but remember be careful not to plagiarise make sure you reference all information.
In design ideas you need to research all the ways you can make your project and make it look.
Experimentation and testing can be carried out in different ways but it must be done for a reason that is directly related to the MDP. Tests can be carried out on materials that will be used for the project. reasons for testing can be to improve skills, improve creativity and you skill and to test e.g. burn tests wire strength tests etc. all tests should have an conclussion that should include what you learnt from the test and how you could improve you project from doing this test. Any information that you include in this section should not be reams of information printed out highlight important bits and leave out unneeded information.
Tool information should include all tools that you have used to complete your folio including cameras disposable verses digital computer software, wood working tools etc
Techniques should have the ways in which you construct you project like wood work joins or jewellery finishes etc.
Your applications of conclusions in this section should be the documentation of how you gathered you information during the section before. For more marks you would explain how you changed your project because of you testing e.g. I changed fabrics in my design because I found a cheaper material that would iron and wash better than my previous material. This section will also form a part of your ongoing evaluation.

In record and application procedures you must keep a clear evaluative record of all process and decisions made throughout the MDP. Your log book should be helpful in this section. In this section you can list where all ongoing evaluation occurred and state the relevant page numbers.
- you should use a specials colour symbol such as a star sticker, different colour paper or something to that nature every time an evaluation is made e.g. at the end of your time or action plan have an evaluation such as why you differed in your time plan

Analysis and evaluation of function and aesthetic criteria is where you can use consideration of design factor section and use that as your questions for this section some include
Functional criteria
-is it a quality project
-is it safe
-does it work as expected and intended to
-is it long lasting and durable
-is it made fro appropriate materials
-has the target market been considered
-is it easy to use? Are there and instructions needed for appropriate and safe use
And some aesthetic criteria are
-is it an attractive design
-is it likely to appeal to the target market
-are the colours, styles, shapes etc correct for the design
-are the characteristics interesting, visually pleasing and appropriate for the intended use

For this last section you will need to state if the need in the project proposal has been met and then you must critically evaluate the impact your MDP will have on society and the environment. For example when evaluating your design you need to have in mind will it make people healthier, safer, more aware, happier, wealthier, have more leisure time, enjoy, increase status, and possess greater skills, knowledge or understanding. in relationship to the environment consider all the ecological issues what effects have you making your MDP had on the environment e.g. increase in pollution or reduction does it have a planned obsolescence (plus life cycle) have you done a cradle to grave analysis were non- toxic or toxic materials used, renewable or raw materials used will there be any advantages or disadvantages to the environment resulting from the use of your MDP

I hope this has helped you and if you need any more info on other sections just post it and I will hopefully find it and send it to you :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)