Help with graphics card (1 Viewer)

littlemic21

Lurking In The Shadows
HSC
i have a laptop with ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 graphics and directx 9.0c. recently when i have been playing any game the whole screen would stuff up and then i'd exit the game and there would be red dots all over the screen. the only way to fix this is to restart my laptop. it just happens randomly like sometimes i can play for about half an hour before this happens and other times it occurs straight away. i've included a couple of screen shots to show what i mean. the first one is while playing GTA: San Andreas. can anyone help? thanks

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
How hot is the case getting? It sounds like you're getting artefacts from overheating.

Have you upgraded to the latest drivers?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
ATi website is a good starting point.

And agree with MedNez on artefacting as a result of overheating. It should have some sort of internal temperature probe you can check.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
littlemic21 said:
ok im at the clevo website and im not sure which driver i should get?
http://www.clevo.com.tw/download/ftpOut.asp?Lmodel=D4xEV&ltype=9&submit=+GO+
no, don't look there.

download this https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

you want "windows xp drivers and software" then "RADEON" then "CATALYST 5.7 Windows XP - Driver Download"

then "With Control Panel", not "With CATALYST Control Center" unless you got lots of hardrive space to waste.

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
dude its focked! completely! if it does all the time ur focken! even majority of the time! cos its not hot all the time!

Check settings (graphics for the games) and reduce (lower quality) and then play if its the same dots and stuff then go and get another laptop! or take it a dudea nd gget it fixed!

littlemic21

Lurking In The Shadows
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
no, don't look there.

download this https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

you want "windows xp drivers and software" then "RADEON" then "CATALYST 5.7 Windows XP - Driver Download"

then "With Control Panel", not "With CATALYST Control Center" unless you got lots of hardrive space to waste.
yeah ive tried that it says its not compatible with my system or something. on the ATI notebook page it says this:

Display drivers and multimedia applications for notebooks with ATI graphics solutions are available for download from your Notebook manufacturer.

The display driver supplied with a given notebook has been customized for:
* the built-in flat panel display
* any other graphics or video options installed in that specific computer.

As a result of these customizations, ATI Customer Care is unable to offer drivers for notebooks.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
littlemic21 said:
yeah ive tried that it says its not compatible with my system or something. on the ATI notebook page it says this:

Display drivers and multimedia applications for notebooks with ATI graphics solutions are available for download from your Notebook manufacturer.

The display driver supplied with a given notebook has been customized for:
* the built-in flat panel display
* any other graphics or video options installed in that specific computer.

As a result of these customizations, ATI Customer Care is unable to offer drivers for notebooks.
hmm... I didn't know that.

Then again I've never owned a laptop with a non-integrated video card.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Try all the VGA ones. Does the software display the temperature of the GPU? If it does, run the game for a while and see how hot it gets. If it is an overheating problem, you might want to consider an external fan pad when you play games, or maybe even refit the heatsink (recommended for pros only though).

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Hm there is now a Catalyst driver for Mobility Radeons, but I think only the X700 and X800 mobility cards are supported..

go to www.rage3d.com and post your problem there in the Technical Support forum - its full of ATi experts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)