Help With Gwennys Critisms (1 Viewer)

pirate

At this stage i'm in a state of bother. i am doing the poems Alter Ego and Prize Giving cause i know them fairly well. i've decided to do the critisms of feminism, new historism and formalism. i was wondering my fellow students, can anyone give me any ideas of feminism in Alter Ego AND does anyone out there know the time at which her poems were written.

Can everyone please state what criticisms they are doing and maybe help a student in need

beccabum

hung up
in the outer suburbs of the middle of nowhere
HSC
Harwood wrote her poetry from the 60's until the early 90's when she died.

you should really know a bit about all of her poems just incase they specify one in the exam, coz they can do that.

the feminism in alter ego isn't really as strong as some of her other poems so i don't know if i'd pick it... but anyways its like she regrets not being able to fully understand/unleash her creative/feminine side coz of her housewife status due to her context - is that ok?

btw where r u in the riverina?

aim54x

XccenTRiX
lost in the mists of time, shrouded by thought
HSC
pirate said:
At this stage i'm in a state of bother. i am doing the poems Alter Ego and Prize Giving cause i know them fairly well. i've decided to do the critisms of feminism, new historism and formalism. i was wondering my fellow students, can anyone give me any ideas of feminism in Alter Ego AND does anyone out there know the time at which her poems were written.
alter ego is deeply reflective, with great insight into harwoods interests Music (mozart etc). dont know much 4 critcism. the module is critical study of texts, talk bout the effectivness of her work in illustratin her ideas. the appeal to her work. i wil use a Marxist view on Prize Givin

tennille

HSC
I don't have a feminist reading (there is a feminist reading?) but there is a psychonalytic reading of it. A phycholanalytic reading of alter ego will focus on the lack of resolution between the ego and alter ego. The metaphor of life as a journey suggests that regardless that it seems that the person and alter ego are in the process of becoming unified, they never actually do.

tennille

HSC
stuff...hehehe...im just doing a dominant reading, a few techniques, then a variant reading. and how it conveys a different idea...using alter ego, glass jar and the violets.

Tim_Shady

HSC
N/A
as you may hav seen in my other thread, im really stuck for ideas for gwen harwood... like as in critical approaches and stuff, like this is the first ive ever heard of it (yeh my teacher did a GREAT job lol)

wat would be an example of an essay response say to Glass Jar, which im doing. like just in summary, wat would u say in the exam? honestly at the moment im absolutely stuffed by the looks of it

tennille

HSC
Glass jar- personification of sun= highlights child's faith in the glass jar.
-short, blunt sentences in the third stanza indicates that the child is in a stae of panic due to the glass jar failing to work
-hyperbole (then hope fell headlong from its eagle height)= indicates the extent of the child's disappointment which causes him to lose faith + hope (central theme)
-Musical imagery (loves proud executants played from a score no child could read or realise)= indicates the complexity of the situation when he views his parents in a sexual act. It is at theis point he loses his innocence and undergoes a transition from a child to an adolescent.

Variant Reading- Freudian reading (psychoanalytic reading)

Mention the Oedipus theory --> a variant reading would focus on how the events in the poem may portray the need for the persona (child) to resolve problems within his own paternal relationship.

He refers to his father a his rival (his comforter lays in his rival's fast embrace) = links to the oedipus theory where a child has an unconciuos desire for a sexual relationship for the parent of the opposite sex and views the parent of the same sex as a rival.

Also linking to the oedipus theory is the fact boys grew out of this phase due to the fear of being punished by their fathers

"his father held fiddle and bow, and scraped assent to the malignant ballet"

it is clear that the boy is getting punished through a violent dream involving his father and therefore closely links to the oedipus theory,

Also sginificant to a Freudian reading is how the monsters he views at night are "envenomend with his secret hate" and use this knowledge to harass him. These monsters are merely a creation of his mind and therefore suggest that he has potential for evil thoughts and desires.

Overall, summarise a dominant reading of the poems, then explain a variant reading (making sure it differs to a dominant reading and its balanced with the dominant reading).

I hope that helped.

Paroissien

HSC
gordo said:
do u reckon there is any chance they will specify which poems?
My teacher said there is a 1/4 chance, but she is an idiot. They couldn't do it to us

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I've got 4 critics, 2 different poems.. i usually explain the dominant reading + a quote & then intergrate the critics + any other readings i have..

timrie6

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
I've got 4 critics, 2 different poems.. i usually explain the dominant reading + a quote & then intergrate the critics + any other readings i have..
what do u mean by critics...I don't have critics...

Paroissien

HSC
You don't have to have actual named critics, but I suppose it couldn't hurt

CrashOveride

HSC
What are varied readings? how do they contrast to dominant readings? is it u pick one of the readings that u focus more strongly on and the varied are..less focused on or something?
and critics??? what u have to talk about ppl who have critisised her work? o_O

Paroissien

HSC
I don't think so. It is acceptable to just take two readings and compare

CrashOveride

HSC
is it alright to have two poems and two readings on each ? and are we spose to link them?
im doing glass jar and prize giving. we meant to link them via the readings? anyone got any suggestions for these two thanks ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)