Help with Ideas for Major Work (1 Viewer)

Crazed nut

HSC
I orginally had 2 ideas:
Something to do with the witch hunts/burnings of the 16th century or Vlad the Impaler and the origin of the vampire legend. Going to do the latter, but need to find some sort of argument. My teacher told me this is how to get the good marks "argument" so now to find one :)
Also I know this is stupid but how do you make a sig???

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
anyone have any ideas for me?
i want to something china related.
maybe something on communism
but what can I investigate? what could my focus question be?

purplepapaya

HSC
before i dropped hist extension the first time i did my hsc i was doing a comparison between athenean and spatran women socially and sexually which my teacher was very pleased and excited about. lots of info and very interesting topic to research!

le Mali

HSC
I think you really should decide on a topic asap. I personally think that you need a lot more time than most think to write the essay - to get the best final document you really have to do extensive drafting and re-drafting, developing your arguments to a concise standard.

In choosing my topics I always start off with a few ideas about debates/historical comparisons and then branch off in my research. I try to get an idea as original as possible to stand out in the group. I like to pick topics my teachers are unaware of, or in the way/combination of things I am looking at - they themselves have new ideas and perspectives.
You have got to be involved in the project - so be interested in it. I think better essays occur when you develop a clear personal opinion on a topic and back it up with your research.

So in your project - areas like cossacks/wellington/waterloo if you can't find historiography but have a genuine interest - pursue it. I find that when there is a lack of debate about your specific topic, you are free to form your own opinion and you are not swayed by the thoughts of others who have covered your topic.

If you are all still stuck, have a peek at Women In Refridgerators (WIR) it's a topic I threw out early last term in my research. It's about the portrayal of women in comic books - so it will boil down to female stereotyping and your historiography is femminism, but in this angle you add in comic books and that whole school of thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)