Help with Medical Science please! (1 Viewer)

username1928

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and I'm really interested in studying a bachelor of medical science.
I was wondering what university would give me the best education for this course and the amount of jobs available for me once I graduate from the course.

xDarkSilent

HSC
Uni Grad
My brother did 3 yearrs of Medical Science at Sydney University , and now he is doing Medicine/Surgery at Usyd .
so i think med science at usyd is good .
its around 92 ATAR now. (i think)

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and I'm really interested in studying a bachelor of medical science.
I was wondering what university would give me the best education for this course and the amount of jobs available for me once I graduate from the course.

Jobs and employment do not solely come from the university you graduate from. I would say any university regardless of it's prestige or ranking shall be good enough if you work hard. It's all about what you contribute and how hard you work during your degree, that will get you the jobs.

But that being said, I heard USYD offers a very good program for Medical Science. (I heard from others)

cjwkang93

HSC
Medical science is probably not a great idea at USyd at the moment because USyd fired heaps of staff and such and majority are from the science faculty so yeah... I was doing Medical Science at USyd in semester 1 of this year and i really didn't like it because there were no flexibility or such due to limited number of lecturers, same for tutorials and practicals. But the problem might settle down soon so... really up to you i guess. The really good thing about USyd that i heard from my tutors was that if you do PhD then you can get scholarships to like Oxford or Cambridge if you're outstanding since they scout a lot of USyd students.
Advice: IF you are planning to do MBBS after MedSci then the uni you attend really won't matter but IF you're in it for the research and such (honours or PhD) then choose a Go8 university as they are research intensive which will be an advantage for you later when you enter the research field.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Medical science is probably not a great idea at USyd at the moment because USyd fired heaps of staff and such and majority are from the science faculty so yeah... I was doing Medical Science at USyd in semester 1 of this year and i really didn't like it because there were no flexibility or such due to limited number of lecturers, same for tutorials and practicals. But the problem might settle down soon so... really up to you i guess. The really good thing about USyd that i heard from my tutors was that if you do PhD then you can get scholarships to like Oxford or Cambridge if you're outstanding since they scout a lot of USyd students.
Advice: IF you are planning to do MBBS after MedSci then the uni you attend really won't matter but IF you're in it for the research and such (honours or PhD) then choose a Go8 university as they are research intensive which will be an advantage for you later when you enter the research field.
They did, but I really didn't think it was a problem, personally.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I pretty much agree with what krnofdrg had said. If you are thinking of doing further studies in medical research, then go to a Go8 university because they are very research-focused and internationally competitive. Going to one of these universities also helps your chances of sucess if you wish to apply to overseas universities, because Go8 universities are more recognised around the world.

If you want to pursue medicine, dentistry or other health-related degrees, then it doesn't really matter where you go in your undergrad as long as you work hard and maintain high marks throughout the degree.

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
Hi, If you would like to find out more about the Bachelor of Medical Science offered at UWS, contact the Course Information Team on 1300 897 669 or study@uws.edu.au. Best regards, UWS Course Info.

nutting

HSC
A degree in Medical science is not the same as a degree in medicine. Many grads of Medical Science are stuck in low paying pathology lab jobs( blood, urine, tissue, faeces testing ) As well many people (try) to use Med Sci as a stepping stone into Medicine...Most don't make it ...... Make sure you know what is ahead and what jobs ( Teaching Biology in secondary school ? ) await you. ...There's a informative paragraph about it here

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Many grads of Medical Science are stuck in low paying pathology lab jobs( blood, urine, tissue, faeces testing ) As well many people (try) to use Med Sci as a stepping stone into Medicine...Most don't make it ...... Make sure you know what is ahead and what jobs
And many end up being internationally recognised leading researchers in the medical sciences.

HSC
And many end up being internationally recognised leading researchers in the medical sciences.
oh pls link me to all ur papers discussing random protein conformations in the flagella of type A gram -ve bacteria which are also lac+

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)