Help With Modern History Plz (1 Viewer)

johnsmith123

HSC
im doing an asignment and i dont understand one part
it says:

write an introductory paragraph to your essay, followed by dot points on the different aspects of your topic

need help plz

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
johnsmith123 said:
it says:

write an introductory paragraph to your essay, followed by dot points on the different aspects of your topic

need help plz
Dot points in an essay?
Anyways from what i see, you write an intro to your essay based what you have studied and then under it write dots points based on things such as important events and individuals from your topic? Maybe you should provide us with your whole question.

Last edited:

johnsmith123

HSC
the whole question is

write an introductory paragraog to your essay, followed by dot points on the different aspects of your topics.

can anyone give me an example on the layout for this please.dont know how to start it

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
The whole question as in the whole question from your assignment, not the whole question as in a more explicit explanation of what you want help with.

If you give us a better idea of what you have to do, we can help you more.

hangerm5

HSC
I am assuming that the task you have to do is a sort of preparatory one for your real assignment. It sounds to me that what they want is an indication you have started to research your essay topic and have an understanding of what you need to cover.

More info would be handy- if you want specifics we will need to know which essay question you are trying to answer as well as some of your ideas about how to do it.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Dot points in an essay, that won't help you in the HSC.

Like everyone else said above the only layout we know would be write an introduction that includes the question, your argument and how you will support it with different events which will form your dot points.

If you wan't more help then we need the whole question. Also ask your teacher and look at the marking criteria.

kc-ok-la

HSC
all my assessments are the same for mod history, its bullshit

but here is how u do it..

the intro is just like any other intro to an essay

however,
once u get into the body,

have sub headings

for example
"Impact of Treaty of Versailles"
- germany lost the ruhr
- germany lost rights to have big army

and so forth,
its like that the whole way,
my assumption is the outro/last paragraph , u gotta write a normal outro not that dot point crap

simbim21

unswMed07
HSC
yeh, what he (^) said. It's simply asking you to write an introduction to your essay question, then plan out what you would say next. That is, write the topic sentences of each paragraph of your body and, under each, write 'dot points' including evidence for your argument (key groups, individuals, events etc). Then you write a conclusion.

This should only be used as a plan for your essay, for the HSC you would write it fully. Have fun!

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
kc-ok-la said:
all my assessments are the same for mod history, its bullshit

but here is how u do it..

the intro is just like any other intro to an essay

however,
once u get into the body,

have sub headings

for example
"Impact of Treaty of Versailles"
- germany lost the ruhr
- germany lost rights to have big army

and so forth,
its like that the whole way,
my assumption is the outro/last paragraph , u gotta write a normal outro not that dot point crap
That type of assessment is stupid IMO. It doesn't benefit you in anyway, except maybe in helping you write up extensive notes.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
johnsmith123 said:
it says:

need help plz
This doesn't sound right at all, as all advice constantly given to HSC students is NEVER use dot-points or headings in an essay.

Are you sure this isn't for the essay plan?

Having said that, all of you should probably remember too that merely giving a chronology of events will not get you into the top band for Modern History (if you are just wanting to get an ok mark, this works fine, providing your chronology is correct and accurate) The top marks in Modern History come from the argument

A typical Modern History question (for an essay) will read something like:

Evaluate the extent of economic recovery in the period 1933 to 1941.

The key word here is Evaluate. The question is asking you to make an assertion/argument about the topic and bring forth historical quotes to back up your claims.

The question you posted sounds very much like an instruction for an essay plan rather than the actual essay itself.

kc-ok-la

HSC
hopeles5ly said:
That type of assessment is stupid IMO. It doesn't benefit you in anyway, except maybe in helping you write up extensive notes.
exacally write, but hey i didnt write it,

everyone whos saying this type of thing sux, i definately agree with you, but were forced to do it(in a sense) if youd like an example ive just finished one so pm me if u want me to send it to you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)