Help with movie: "The Motorcycle Diaries" (1 Viewer)

danz90

HSC
Hey im just after some notes or any advice in analysing "The motorcycle diaries" for physical journeys. I would appreciate if anyone could suggest particular scenes or quotes that I could analyse.

So far I have thought about some dialogue at the beginning of the movie, and towards the end. Are there any pivotal scenes in the movie that portray physical journeys and how they change Ernesto as well as Alberto?

Also, a pretty general (and maybe dumb) question.. but when we analyse a text (movie for eg.) for Journeys, do we only analyse a particular scene... or in the case of a picture book/cartoon - only one frame/picture ?

Kabbasi

HSC
danz90 said:
Hey im just after some notes or any advice in analysing "The motorcycle diaries" for physical journeys. I would appreciate if anyone could suggest particular scenes or quotes that I could analyse.

So far I have thought about some dialogue at the beginning of the movie, and towards the end. Are there any pivotal scenes in the movie that portray physical journeys and how they change Ernesto as well as Alberto?

Also, a pretty general (and maybe dumb) question.. but when we analyse a text (movie for eg.) for Journeys, do we only analyse a particular scene... or in the case of a picture book/cartoon - only one frame/picture ?
Hey Danz! I didn't study Physical Journeys, but I did study journeys, and I watched "The Motorcycle Diaries" and loved it, so I'll give you some points which you might find helpful.

I'll answer your last question, as it's the easiest (but not dumb!). When you're analysing a movie, you should be referring to the movie as a whole to deliver your opinion of the significance of the physical journey, as in how it has affected the characters. Then you should back it up with some scenes that you have selected, including quotes, and the obvious symbolism linking to the journey (i.e. the motorcycle ride). For a picture book you should make reference to more than just one of the pictures - you need to show the markers that you know the whole text, not just a few lines, and what it has to say about the Physical journey.

You're right about using the end and beginning of the movies as a part of your analysis, as they are really useful. However, think also about the point in time in the middle of the movie when the motives of (especially Ernesto's) journeys change from leisure to a discovery of how he wants to spend his future. From what I can remember, this was probably when they ran into the husband and wife (were they miners? I can't remember. It was those people that Ernesto gave the American dollars to) and in the voiceover the character of Che mentions how this was a turning point in their journey. So you can say how the physical journey exposes individuals to landscapes which challenge their ways of thinking and leads them to discover new ideas etc etc.

I think the main point of the effects of the Physical journey should really be made with reference to Ernesto rather than Alberto. You should also find some quotes from around about the journey and try and link it to the themes raised in the movie.

I hope this was of some help to you. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)