Help with my trials preparation ! (1 Viewer)

hon1hon2hon3

HSC
Today , i went through my notes and studing for physics trial, which is next tuesday. When i went through my book , i got some notes that i cant even understand myself, but it seems to be important notes because i wrote "study for exam" next to it.

Here is some of my notes, hope u guys can help me out of this :p

1) "advance technology telescope"

2) "Hertz - proven electromagnetic exist . attempt to measure speed of light, spark jump more easily , radio transimitter"

3) describe experiment, spectra , spectrometer.

Some of them does make some sense, but i still cant find any notes related to such things.

Any one have any idea that , what i wanted to study before . . . . any link to any related resources would be appreciated.

Sorry for bad grammer and puntuation and stuff.

Peace~

karnage

HSC
2) "Hertz - proven electromagnetic exist . attempt to measure speed of light, spark jump more easily , radio transimitter"

Hertz's experiment where he found that radio waves were transmitted.

He had an induction coil hooked up to a transmitter loop (parabolic reflector) which caused sparks. Using a seperate receiver loop, he noticed there were sparks produced in that loop despite it not being connected to any source of power. He thus concluded that electromagnetic radiation was transmitted and picked up by the receiver loop.

And he measured the speed of the radio waves through intereference patterns which came out to be the same as the speed of light.

He thus proved maxwell's theories that EMR could exist at other frequencies other than light etc.

It should be in your textbook.

Jase

HSC
this is probably a bit late since the exam is over .. but for your future reference

For 1 and 3.:

1) advance technology telescope - I assume this relates to the technology used in telescopes to overcome problems in resolution such as atmospheric distortion. There are three main technologies.

Adaptive optics
When there is turbulence in the atmosphere, it can scatter light coming from stars. This will decrease telescope resolution. Adaptive optics can reduce this by rapidly changing the shape of the objective mirror to compensate for distortion.

Active optics
Gravity and temperature can distort the lens or mirror as well. This is corrected by active optics, which uses a mechanical system to change the shape, similar to adaptive.

Interferometry
Two telescopes placed far away from each other can have their images combined by intereference to create an image with larger resolution.

This is probably about the spectra from star light.

A spectrum is the range of colours or wavelengths of light observed when light is split and dispersed by a glass prism or grating. Usually we call such a device a spectrometer.

Saviour

Banned
HSC
Jase said:

Adaptive optics
When there is turbulence in the atmosphere, it can scatter light coming from stars. This will decrease telescope resolution. Adaptive optics can reduce this by rapidly changing the shape of the objective mirror to compensate for distortion. ...

*sigh*, material science.

By the way the experiment involves you observing different spectra but you must never look into the sun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)