Help with Permutations and Combinations (1 Viewer)

bored of sc

HSC
What techniques are needed in order to effectively solve permutation and combination questions every time???

Diagrams with scribbling on them, taking each step one at a time, checking your working thoroughly, getting realistic solutions and linking parts (a) (b) etc in questions.

But what else.

Here's a hard example (hard for me):

At a dinner party 6 people sit around a table.
Find the probability that if seating is at random, 2 friends will sit apart.

Thank you! :)

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
bored of sc said:
What techniques are needed in order to effectively solve permutation and combination questions every time???

Diagrams with scribbling on them, taking each step one at a time, checking your working thoroughly, getting realistic solutions and linking parts (a) (b) etc in questions.

But what else.

Here's a hard example (hard for me):

At a dinner party 6 people sit around a table.
Find the probability that if seating is at random, 2 friends will sit apart.

Thank you! :)
Ways people can sit around a table: 5!
(circular arrangement means they are arranged in relation to one person, so that one person is excluded when counting the number of ways.)

Ways 2 friends can sit together 4! x 2!
(treat the 2 friends as one object which can be arranged in 2! ways)

Ways 2 friends can NOT sit together: 5! - (4! x 2!) = 72
(Total number of ways, subtract the number of ways which they will sit together. Then you're left with the number of ways that they can sit apart.)

Thats how i think it's done. Permutations and combinations at a 3U standard is very easy. Don't stress. I have never scribled diagrams before, unless they were incomplete tree diagrams for 2U math. I find diagrams for Permutations and Combinations to be absolutely useless, but people learn differently. If you feel like using them, then by all means do so.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Also, remember that if they give you a questions about beads on a necklace, divide your answer by 2 because the beads can be reversed in order by flipping it around.

bored of sc

HSC
thanks heaps for that foram - you got it spot on

thanks also for that very handy beads tip :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)