Help With Speech On Witness (1 Viewer)

squirt_92

HSC
Hey Guys
I'm just wondering if anyone has notes on any of the following scenes as i need to write a speech and havn't seen all of the movies as i was away sick.
  • The Train Station Scene
  • The Murder Scene
  • The Barn Dancing Scene
  • The Barn Raising Scene
  • The Final/Farewell Scene
Also any help on how i should go about answering the question would be a great help.

You are to present an analysis of one of the following key scenes from witness and discuss how it reflects the values of the text and contributes to it as a whole

Last edited:

Sadiah

HSC
Uhm, I have something to assist you with, however, it's not entirely a speech in essence.

It was an article that we had to write in relation to 'Witness'.

It has reference to some of the key scenes and themes.

I'll post it up.

Hope it helps. =)

Sadiah

HSC
The Amish in America – a clash of cultures
The film ‘Witness’ romanticises cultures which interact yet cannot amalgamate

Beyond the archetypal exposé of the Amish culture by all, it seems that the Oscar-winning ‘Witness’ by Peter Weir has expunged the typical intuition of the Amish culture. In a nutshell, 1985 film ‘Witness’ focuses on a detective protecting a young Amish boy [Samuel] who becomes the target of a ruthless killer after he witnesses a brutal murder in a Philadelphia train station. The Amish trace their religious heritage to the Swiss Anabaptist of sixteenth-century Europe, who emerged in the wake of the Protestant Reformation. The first ample group of Amish arrived in America around 1730 and settled near Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. The Pennsylvania Amish are not the prevalent group of U.S. Amish as is generally thought, however. The Amish have settled in as many as twenty-four states, Canada, and Central America, though statistics suggest that about 80% are located in Pennsylvania, Ohio and Indiana. The Amish traditionally speak German and, symbolic of their faith, Amish clothing styles encourage humility and separation from the world. They dress in a very simple style, avoiding all but the most basic ornamentation. Clothing is made at home of plain fabrics and is primarily dark –usually black- in color, as is depicted in the following picture.

The Amish representing the juxtaposition of decency, simplicity, and modesty via their dressing sagacity
With respect to ‘Witness’, Weir has enthrallingly delivered a subterranean rendering of the Amish culture, which not only adheres to genuine authenticity of the Amish, but also specializes in endorsing the Amish as a sanguine civilization. The Amish are averse to any technology which they believe deteriorates the family configuration. The conveniences that the rest of us take for granted, such as electricity, are considered to be a temptation that could cause vanity, create inequity, or lead the Amish away from their close-knit community and, as such, are not encouraged or accepted in most orders. Most Amish cultivate their fields with horse-drawn machinery, live in houses without electricity, and get around in horse-drawn buggies.

The Amish use horse-drawn buggies which is symbolic of their resistance in opting cars for transport
The Amish are private people who avoid as much contact with strangers and the "outside world" as possible for important religious and cultural reasons. It is interesting to acknowledge that the Amish classify those who are not Amish as “English”. Considering the Amish categorize the non-Amish pupils as English, it is apparent that the Amish also declare that the English/non-Amish rules do not apply to them, and this is what Weir has beguilingly divulged in ‘Witness’: “You don’t understand. We want nothing to do with your laws.” This statement from the character Rachel Lapp [an Amish lady] to John Book [an English man] represents her commitment to only Amish regulations, and as such the “English” regulations do not apply upon her.
The boundaries which are not to be exceeded are also reflected in ‘Witness’ as a theme of the clashing of cultures – Amish and the English. The romantic relationship between Rachel and Book which forms throughout the film does so with an amalgamation of various tribulations: “If we made love last night I’d have to stay, or you’d have to leave.” Book transmits his frustration to Rachel upon the fact that they cannot exceed physical interaction without having thereby to face severe consequences. The Amish culture does not permit socialization with non-Amish, let alone physical and romantic relationships with non-Amish. Thus, can an Amish plus non-Amish equal one?
Scene taken from Witness (1985) viewing Harrison Ford [John Book] and Kelly Mcgillis [Rachel Lapp]: The Amish culture forbids the Amish plus non-Amish relationship.
The ‘Ordnung’ is a set of rules for Amish living. The word Ordnung, borrowed from the German language, means order, arrangement, organization, or system. Every local church maintains an individual set of rules, adhering to its own Ordnung, which may vary from district to district as each community administers its own guidelines. These rules are largely unwritten, yet they define the very essence of Amish identity. It is perhaps the essence of the Ordnung which forms the clash between the Amish and non-Amish cultures, and in particular, the Amish and the traditional “English” culture. In the film, the scene where Book and Rachel are dancing and Eli Lapp [Rachel’s father] appears and yells at Rachel exemplifies that this act of Rachel and Book is not permitted within the boundaries of their [Amish] community. The statements “I have done nothing against the Ordnung” and “I have committed no sin” exemplify that Rachel believes that her act of dancing with Book does not adhere to any violations of the Ordnung. However, Eli disagrees to such and deviates against Rachel: “No sin? Maybe not yet. But, Rachel...Don't you know there has been talk? Talk about you, not him. Talk about going to the Bishop. About having you... shunned!” It is clear here that there is a vast difference between the Amish culture and the English culture when it comes to physical, romantic and even sexual relationships; however, the differences between the two cultures go much beyond relationships.
Violence is not tolerated within the Amish community under whatever circumstances; on the other hand however, violence is an every-day occurrence within the English community. This is analytically embodied in ‘Witness’ upon numerous scenes. One of the key scenes being when Book is moving to intervene against some locals who are harassing the Amish, intending to teach them a lesson: “It’s not our way” – this committed declaration is a depiction of Eli’s loyalty to his Amish culture.- The Amish strongly indulge with the ideology of pacifism; they desire peace and do not fight back. However, Book reveals his English gesticulation which is symbolic of him being used to violence in the English world: “It’s my way”. If the locals are harassing the Amish, or anyone in that case, Book will not stay calm as an Amish man, he will fight back, which is very much a symbol of the English characteristics.
Another vital scene in ‘Witness’ which visualizes the extent to which the Amish generally are opposed to violence is when Rachel and Samuel [her young son] are walking through the police station with Book and Rachel states “I just don’t like the idea of my son spending all this time with a man who carries a gun and goes around whacking people!” This illustrates that regardless if violence is present, if even a weapon which can cause violence is present; the Amish are to be as far from it as possible.
In essence, ‘Witness’ by Peter Weir is a must-watch for every teen and beyond – it represents and magnifies the Amish culture and perhaps is an effective informing tool about the Amish civilization. The clash of cultures is depicted between the Amish and English people, which exemplify limits that are not to be crossed under whatsoever circumstances. Henceforth, beyond typical English mentality of the Amish, ‘Witness’ solves the mystery for us all! The Amish aren’t as disclosed as we think they are, in fact, they are innocent and just as sane as any of us: The statement from a Lancaster County, Pennsylvania Visitor's Bureau brochure sums it up well: "While you talk and mingle with the Amish, please remember that they are not actors or spectacles, but ordinary people who choose a different way of life."

Resource List
A. Literature
Ø D. B. Kraybill, 2001 – The Riddle of the Amish Culture:
This was an excellent book which provided a great insight into the history of the Amish world. However, not honestly reading the entire book, and only skimming through the book thereby identifying relevant data, I was able to use this book as the basis of the commencement of my article. Therefore, this book was very useful in allowing me to gain foremost knowledge of the origins of the Amish culture.
B. Websites
Ø http://pittsburgh.about.com/cs/pennsylvania/a/amish_2.htm
This was a very useful website which allowed me to access information about the Amish dressing styles and religious customs. Information on the ‘Ordnung’ was also gathered here.
Ø http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090329/quotes
This website permitted me to view a whole lot of quotes which I integrated throughout my feature magazine article.
Ø http://www.gointothestory.com/2008/12/great-scene-witness.html
This was an interesting website which analysed a key scene of the film ‘Witness’. Although much of this was not relevant to my criteria, I was able to gain a clearer insight into one of the central key scenes of the film.
Ø http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://blogs.amctv.com/future-of-classic/amish%2520in%2520witness.jpg&imgrefurl=http://blogs.amctv.com/future-of-classic/2008/07/amish-on-screen-trivia-quiz.php&usg=__c__PUO5pXHzMX2urdvJ7Eppuwvc=&h=330&w=560&sz=76&hl=en&start=12&um=1&tbnid=7iHOelN45m6UTM:&tbnh=78&tbnw=133&prev=/images%3Fq%3Damish%2Bclothing%2Bmen%2Band%2Bwomen%26hl%3Den%26um%3D1
This website allowed me to gain my graphics and pictures which I used in the conduction of this literary piece.
--
I've also posted up the bibliography as the soruces listed may be of interest/assistance to you.
Sorry about the pictures not being available. =)

squirt_92

HSC
The Amish in America – a clash of cultures
The film ‘Witness’ romanticises cultures which interact yet cannot amalgamate

Beyond the archetypal exposé of the Amish culture by all, it seems that the Oscar-winning ‘Witness’ by Peter Weir has expunged the typical intuition of the Amish culture. In a nutshell, 1985 film ‘Witness’ focuses on a detective protecting a young Amish boy [Samuel] who becomes the target of a ruthless killer after he witnesses a brutal murder in a Philadelphia train station. The Amish trace their religious heritage to the Swiss Anabaptist of sixteenth-century Europe, who emerged in the wake of the Protestant Reformation. The first ample group of Amish arrived in America around 1730 and settled near Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. The Pennsylvania Amish are not the prevalent group of U.S. Amish as is generally thought, however. The Amish have settled in as many as twenty-four states, Canada, and Central America, though statistics suggest that about 80% are located in Pennsylvania, Ohio and Indiana. The Amish traditionally speak German and, symbolic of their faith, Amish clothing styles encourage humility and separation from the world. They dress in a very simple style, avoiding all but the most basic ornamentation. Clothing is made at home of plain fabrics and is primarily dark –usually black- in color, as is depicted in the following picture.

The Amish representing the juxtaposition of decency, simplicity, and modesty via their dressing sagacity
With respect to ‘Witness’, Weir has enthrallingly delivered a subterranean rendering of the Amishculture, which not only adheres to genuine authenticity of the Amish, but also specializes in endorsing the Amish as a sanguine civilization. The Amish are averse to any technology which they believe deteriorates the family configuration. The conveniences that the rest of us take for granted, such as electricity, are considered to be a temptation that could cause vanity, create inequity, or lead the Amish away from their close-knit community and, as such, are not encouraged or accepted in most orders. Most Amish cultivate their fields with horse-drawn machinery, live in houses without electricity, and get around in horse-drawn buggies.

The Amish use horse-drawn buggies which is symbolic of their resistance in opting cars for transport
The Amish are private people who avoid as much contact with strangers and the "outside world" as possible for important religious and cultural reasons. It is interesting to acknowledge that the Amish classify those who are not Amish as “English”. Considering the Amish categorize the non-Amish pupils as English, it is apparent that the Amish also declare that the English/non-Amish rules do not apply to them, and this is what Weir has beguilingly divulged in ‘Witness’: “You don’t understand. We want nothing to do with your laws.” This statement from the character Rachel Lapp [an Amish lady] to John Book [an English man] represents her commitment to only Amish regulations, and as such the “English” regulations do not apply upon her.
The boundaries which are not to be exceeded are also reflected in ‘Witness’ as a theme of the clashing of cultures – Amish and the English. The romantic relationship between Rachel and Book which forms throughout the film does so with an amalgamation of various tribulations: “If we made love last night I’d have to stay, or you’d have to leave.” Book transmits his frustration to Rachel upon the fact that they cannot exceed physical interaction without having thereby to face severe consequences. The Amish culture does not permit socialization with non-Amish, let alone physical and romantic relationships with non-Amish. Thus, can an Amish plus non-Amish equal one?
Scene taken from Witness (1985) viewing Harrison Ford [John Book] and Kelly Mcgillis [Rachel Lapp]: The Amish culture forbids the Amish plus non-Amish relationship.
The ‘Ordnung’ is a set of rules for Amish living. The word Ordnung, borrowed from the German language, means order, arrangement, organization, or system. Every local church maintains an individual set of rules, adhering to its own Ordnung, which may vary from district to district as each community administers its own guidelines. These rules are largely unwritten, yet they define the very essence of Amish identity. It is perhaps the essence of the Ordnung which forms the clash between the Amish and non-Amish cultures, and in particular, the Amish and the traditional “English” culture. In the film, the scene where Book and Rachel are dancing and Eli Lapp [Rachel’s father] appears and yells at Rachel exemplifies that this act of Rachel and Book is not permitted within theboundaries of their [Amish] community. The statements “I have done nothing against the Ordnung” and “I have committed no sin” exemplify that Rachel believes that her act of dancing with Book does not adhere to any violations of the Ordnung. However, Eli disagrees to such and deviates against Rachel: “No sin? Maybe not yet. But, Rachel...Don't you know there has been talk? Talk about you, not him. Talk about going to the Bishop. About having you... shunned!” It is clear here that there is a vast difference between the Amish culture and the English culture when it comes to physical, romantic and even sexual relationships; however, the differences between the two cultures go much beyond relationships.
Violence is not tolerated within the Amish community under whatever circumstances; on the other hand however, violence is an every-day occurrence within the English community. This is analytically embodied in ‘Witness’ upon numerous scenes. One of the key scenes being when Book is moving to intervene against some locals who are harassing the Amish, intending to teach them a lesson: “It’s not our way” – this committed declaration is a depiction of Eli’s loyalty to his Amish culture.- The Amish strongly indulge with the ideology of pacifism; they desire peace and do not fight back. However, Book reveals his English gesticulation which is symbolic of him being used to violence in the English world: “It’s my way”. If the locals are harassing the Amish, or anyone in that case, Book will not stay calm as an Amish man, he will fight back, which is very much a symbol of the English characteristics.
Another vital scene in ‘Witness’ which visualizes the extent to which the Amish generally are opposed to violence is when Rachel and Samuel [her young son] are walking through the police station with Book and Rachel states “I just don’t like the idea of my son spending all this time with a man who carries a gun and goes around whacking people!” This illustrates that regardless if violence is present, if even a weapon which can cause violence is present; the Amish are to be as far from it as possible.
In essence, ‘Witness’ by Peter Weir is a must-watch for every teen and beyond – it represents and magnifies the Amish culture and perhaps is an effective informing tool about the Amish civilization. The clash of cultures is depicted between the Amish and English people, which exemplify limits that are not to be crossed under whatsoever circumstances. Henceforth, beyond typical English mentality of the Amish, ‘Witness’ solves the mystery for us all! The Amish aren’t as disclosed as we think they are, in fact, they are innocent and just as sane as any of us: The statement from a Lancaster County, Pennsylvania Visitor's Bureau brochure sums it up well: "While you talk and mingle with the Amish, please remember that they are not actors or spectacles, but ordinary people who choose a different way of life."

Resource List
A. Literature
ØD. B. Kraybill, 2001 – The Riddle of the Amish Culture:
This was an excellent book which provided a great insight into the history of the Amish world. However, not honestly reading the entire book, and only skimming through the book thereby identifying relevant data, I was able to use this book as the basis of the commencement of my article. Therefore, this book was very useful in allowing me to gain foremost knowledge of the origins of the Amish culture.
B. Websites
Øhttp://pittsburgh.about.com/cs/pennsylvania/a/amish_2.htm
This was a very useful website which allowed me to access information about the Amish dressing styles and religious customs. Information on the ‘Ordnung’ was also gathered here.
Øhttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090329/quotes
This website permitted me to view a whole lot of quotes which I integrated throughout my feature magazine article.
Øhttp://www.gointothestory.com/2008/12/great-scene-witness.html
This was an interesting website which analysed a key scene of the film ‘Witness’. Although much of this was not relevant to my criteria, I was able to gain a clearer insight into one of the central key scenes of the film.
Øhttp://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://blogs.amctv.com/future-of-classic/amish%2520in%2520witness.jpg&imgrefurl=http://blogs.amctv.com/future-of-classic/2008/07/amish-on-screen-trivia-quiz.php&usg=__c__PUO5pXHzMX2urdvJ7Eppuwvc=&h=330&w=560&sz=76&hl=en&start=12&um=1&tbnid=7iHOelN45m6UTM:&tbnh=78&tbnw=133&prev=/images%3Fq%3Damish%2Bclothing%2Bmen%2Band%2Bwomen%26hl%3Den%26um%3D1
This website allowed me to gain my graphics and pictures which I used in the conduction of this literary piece.
--
I've also posted up the bibliography as the soruces listed may be of interest/assistance to you.
Sorry about the pictures not being available. =)
Thank You

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)