Help with Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

hholbrook

HSC
Hi,

(Yay first post!)

I am currently in the process of selecting my subjects for year 11 and 12. Here is what I am currently thinking:

- Advanced English
- Studies of Religion I (I go to a Catholic school, not my choice :( )
- Economics
- Legal Studies
- Business Studies
- Advanced Maths
- Extension 1 Maths (and 2 in year 12)

My school has apparently found a way for us to complete Studies of Religion I in one year so that would allow me to pick up Extension 2 Maths in Year 12. I would then most likely drop business studies. I am interested in a career in law, probably in the financial area. The teacher who runs the HSIE department (who is also the Business teacher) originally said that Economics and Legal Studies are best paired together in my case, but then when I said I would drop Business after Year 11, he was like "No. Drop Economics. Business is better with Legal". I'm now just confused. What's your point of view? Business + Legal OR Economics + Legal ?

Thanks

enoilgam

HSC
I would then most likely drop business studies. I am interested in a career in law, probably in the financial area. The teacher who runs the HSIE department (who is also the Business teacher) originally said that Economics and Legal Studies are best paired together in my case, but then when I said I would drop Business after Year 11, he was like "No. Drop Economics. Business is better with Legal". I'm now just confused. What's your point of view? Business + Legal OR Economics + Legal ?
I dont know what your teacher is on about. Enter year 11 with an open mind - you will find that you might change your mind about your subjects later in the year. Just try the subjects and see which you like least and perform worst in and drop that.

hholbrook

HSC
So just do the subjects I listed, and drop the subject that I get the lowest mark in? Sounds like a good idea. Thanks. Are you able to explain the deal with Advanced Maths and Extension. Is it right that if you do Ext 1 and 2 in Year 12 you don't do Advanced? If so is that only the advanced exam, or the whole course (no lessons)? Thanks

lvella10

HSC
Your classes will inhibit the original allocation of your advanced classes .. So you won't gain any extra free periods or anything of the sort .. Your advanced maths marks don't count toward anything I believe and you won't have to sit the 2unit exam ( May be incorrect - Basing off what others have said ) ..

marshmallow23

HSC
N/A
Well, I do both Legal Studies and Business Studies. I love Business Studies! It is a pretty easy subject and well, if you can memorise things well, then everything just comes off easily in Business. I don't do Economics, but from what I've heard, it's a lot more "drier" in terms of content compared do Business Studies. Some things in Legal Studies and Business Studies to interrelate like some of the laws your learn in legal can relate to some of the laws in business. So far, that hasn't been many things that sort of relate to each other in Legal and Business. Legal is more of a subject where you have to discuss things, argue your point, evaluate and assess the effectiveness of law and things like that. Business however, they give you the info, you have to know the syllabus and work your way from there. I'm not sure how economics goes, but you should consult your teachers/previous eco students ASAP for info. I'd really recommend Business Studies because I love it, however, it terms of scaling and that, economics scales better. But scaling shouldn't even matter. However, if you want, Business Studies & Economics do pair up will together. :D But since you want to do Legal Studies, do whatever you want suits for you :) But remember, Legal Studies is not a prerequisite for Law so you could do Business Studies & Economics as they pair up well imo. Hopefully that was helpful!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)