help with subject selections ! (1 Viewer)

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Different perspectives on a subject. They exist for every subject. Decide for yourself what your perspective will be :)
yeahh .. ii understand that .. and now ive chosen not to do society and culture .. ^^

frontin said:
Hey sleepeebumz!

LOL you and me are EXACTLY alike

I've already handed in my subject selections about 2 weeks ago but before we had to I WAS EXTREMELY STRESSED

I even dogged studying for my maths test to research all the subjects! I was what you could say OVER-RESEARCHED. Subject selections are extremely important but you can always change them at the start of next year if you REALLY dislike one of your selections.

To me, you seem extremely confused and maybe too "influenced" by peers, teachers and anybody else. Remember its YOUR life and its YOUR subjects. Thats what I came to as a realisation.

I'm really happy with my subjects but am still unsure about if I should've done modern history over legal. But other then that, I know 3 maths 3 english music 2 and eco are definitely something I'll be motivated to study for and enjoy (hopefully). Also all my classes have a few friends and a few acquaintances and the classes are small too so it should be extremely fun with those that I already know and those I will get to know.

Anyway, the bottom line is really to look at your career prospects and if your still undecided on that look at what subjects you will work for. Don't worry if subjects will be a bludge, or scaled up or down (unless its scaled REALLY DOWN LOL) because in the end all Year 11 and 12 subjects have their pros and cons. Just look at each year 11 and 12 course outline/syllabus, go through some HSC past papers and decide which subjects you think you'll understand and you'll do well at, which ones aren't really your thing and the ones you want to do most.

Remember you don't want that chip on your shoulder or "doubt" after your subject selections thinking oh wait I should've done that. Good luck and tell us what your final decisions are once you've made them and hopefully you'll be happy with them.

ahahah .. wow .. thanks for all of that .. ^^ .. its really useful .. & ii finally understand that i should choose what i enjoy .. well i find that its my first priority and 2ndly i should choose subjects that will help me in the future .. =] thats how ii see it .. ^^ ahah .. good luck with your choices too !! ..

Riviet said:
It's just a matter of what you like, e.g many people hate maths, but a select few actually enjoy it. :p
ahahah .. * nodds & agrees * .. ii enjoy maths !! .. =] although sometimes it can be a bitch ! x)

btw all .. im deciding that i want to pick up multimedia .. ive just gotta talk to the deputy on monday .. ^^ wish me luckk .. ahah .. but id just like to know .. from personal experience :-

1. what are the pros and cons of a) pdhpe & b) biology

2. whats the difference between advanced & standard english ? i wana change to standard but are there any reasons why ii shouldnt ?

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Don't roll your eyes at the truth, bruh. :p

2. whats the difference between advanced & standard english ? i wana change to standard but are there any reasons why ii shouldnt ?
Advanced scales better, and can be a prerequisite/assumed knowledge for some university courses. As for the course itself...I don't know, I'm only in year 10. ;)

tennille

HSC
I don't think advanced is any difficult than standard (that's what I've heard). You just study different modules.

N

noir.

zangetsu.xo said:
society and culture IS a bit of a bludge.
but i got so bored of it during the first couple of weeks so i dropped it.
it's seriously so incredibly excrutiatingly boring.
DON'T DO IT.
Yes S&C is a bit of a bludge LATER ON IN THE YEAR. Well, for me anyway. I found that there was a lot of work to complete. Its not a hard subject at all; you need to be aware of your work, which is easy to understand, and also be able intergrate concepts in answers and essays which is the hardest part.

The best part, though, are the debates that occur in almost every lesson. :D

Dyne

HSC

PDHPE and Biology apparently work well in conjunction with each other (again I'm only in Year 10 :)) in theory. PDHPE is also majority essay - good for the writer types out there - and isn't so mathematical :p yay. Biology is just lots and lots of memorising. . . interesting memorising, though.

On the downside, PE doesn't scale as well - but if you do well in it, it doesn't matter. Biology is also less maths if you are better at that.

But hey, I chose:

Ext. Eng. , Ext. Maths, Bio, PDHPE and Ancient History so :) And I'm far more humanities/essay based - with a great interest in sport and how the human body works.

UnIqUe_PrInCeSs

invading your mind
I'm leaving now to go find myself. If I should ret
HSC
zangetsu.xo said:
society and culture IS a bit of a bludge.
but i got so bored of it during the first couple of weeks so i dropped it.
it's seriously so incredibly excrutiatingly boring.
DON'T DO IT.
lol same with Community and Family studies. It's not a bludgy subject or anything. It's just so easy and boring.

kathrynso

HSC

Lucky for me, I do both PD and Bio. and for some odd reason, now that my prelims are coming up, that i dislike PD and Bio equally.
Pros: PD - learn about the body (in one core only), first aid (option)
Bio - get to learn about interesting animals
Cons: PD - First 2 cores are so boring
Bio - Don't get talkative people in your class
Some information is hard to get your head around
Both - Die Syllabus!

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Gangles.McGee said:
Yes S&C is a bit of a bludge LATER ON IN THE YEAR. Well, for me anyway. I found that there was a lot of work to complete. Its not a hard subject at all; you need to be aware of your work, which is easy to understand, and also be able intergrate concepts in answers and essays which is the hardest part.

The best part, though, are the debates that occur in almost every lesson. :D
hmm .. essays .. AHAHA .. im so not picking that !

Dyne said:

PDHPE and Biology apparently work well in conjunction with each other (again I'm only in Year 10 :)) in theory. PDHPE is also majority essay - good for the writer types out there - and isn't so mathematical :p yay. Biology is just lots and lots of memorising. . . interesting memorising, though.

On the downside, PE doesn't scale as well - but if you do well in it, it doesn't matter. Biology is also less maths if you are better at that.

But hey, I chose:

Ext. Eng. , Ext. Maths, Bio, PDHPE and Ancient History so :) And I'm far more humanities/essay based - with a great interest in sport and how the human body works.
pdhpe & ESSAYS ?! AHHH !! .. nooo !! .. ahaha .. okaaay .. ill try drop thats too .. ^^

UnIqUe_PrInCeSs said:
lol same with Community and Family studies. It's not a bludgy subject or anything. It's just so easy and boring.
.. hmmm .. hows that subject ? .. LOL .. anything good bout it ?

kathrynso said:

Lucky for me, I do both PD and Bio. and for some odd reason, now that my prelims are coming up, that i dislike PD and Bio equally.
Pros: PD - learn about the body (in one core only), first aid (option)
Bio - get to learn about interesting animals
Cons: PD - First 2 cores are so boring
Bio - Don't get talkative people in your class
Some information is hard to get your head around
Both - Die Syllabus!
hmm .. ii also want to try and drop bio .. how is physics ? .. is it easy ? what are the concepts ? ii really dont want to do essays !! ><" & ii like that untalkative people in bio class .. ahah .. thats a pro for me !! .. =D HELP !!

what other subjects can ii choose from thats kinda mathish .. ii want no essays whatsoever ! and umm .. yeahh .. ahah ..

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
sle3pe3bumz said:
hmm .. essays .. AHAHA .. im so not picking that !
pdhpe & ESSAYS ?! AHHH !! .. nooo !! .. ahaha .. okaaay .. ill try drop thats too .. ^^
.. hmmm .. hows that subject ? .. LOL .. anything good bout it ?
hmm .. ii also want to try and drop bio .. how is physics ? .. is it easy ? what are the concepts ? ii really dont want to do essays !! ><" & ii like that untalkative people in bio class .. ahah .. thats a pro for me !! .. =D HELP !!
what other subjects can ii choose from thats kinda mathish .. ii want no essays whatsoever ! and umm .. yeahh .. ahah ..
I'm afraid you're going to have to do some essay writing for your HSC, just about any subject involves some kind of extended responses (except maths of course ;)).

Physics is quite interesting (in my opinion), there's a bit of maths, mainly calculations. Unfortunately most of the rest is theory that you need to learn (and hopefully understand in the process).

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
From what I've done, Physics is the most mathematical of the sciences, as you need to remember the formulae and know what situations to apply what equation. However, once you know your formulae it should be fine, so if you're good at Maths then it should be breazy-easy.

James747

HSC
Jachie said:
From what I've done, Physics is the most mathematical of the sciences, as you need to remember the formulae and know what situations to apply what equation. However, once you know your formulae it should be fine, so if you're good at Maths then it should be breazy-easy.
Physics [preliminary] maths is like year 9 maths. It really easy maths, and just requires substitution into the equations, which are really simple [like V=IR]. i suck at maths and I don't find the physics maths challenging at all, except the questions from the Excel textbook and some random worksheets. =P

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Tennille said:
I don't think advanced is any difficult than standard (that's what I've heard). You just study different modules.
English Standard - 4 texts
English Advanced - 5 texts, one must be Shakespeare

If not, why aren't I in Advanced English ?

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
James747 said:
Physics [preliminary] maths is like year 9 maths. It really easy maths, and just requires substitution into the equations, which are really simple [like V=IR]. i suck at maths and I don't find the physics maths challenging at all, except the questions from the Excel textbook and some random worksheets. =P
what kinda maths did you do in year 9 ?! .. ahah .. XD & what kinda maths are you planning to do next year ? .. wait .. your in year 10 ?

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
hey are vet courses good ? .. hows IT ? .. ii still dont know what to pick .. but then ii also want to do either bio or physics. bio people say its too hard .. physics ii dont know .. like is it really as easy as people put it ?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
sle3pe3bumz said:
but then ii also want to do either bio or physics. bio people say its too hard .. physics ii dont know .. like is it really as easy as people put it ?
There's a fair amount of content you need to remember in all the sciences, especially in biology, from what I've heard. Difficulty-wise it ranges from student to student. From my opinion, physics can be quite theoretical with some of the theory tricky to understand at first. Biology I've heard is more straight forward to understand but you need to memorise quite alot of the content.

If you can only do one, then pick the one that interests you more.

Last edited:

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
well .. ii dont have to pick one .. but ii only have to pick one kos ii need to fill up all my 12 units .. and ii was planning to try & do 2 sciences so yeah .. or even chem is alright with me .. ii guess you could say im equally as good in both subjects .. but that aint very good still .. ><"

Riviet

HSC
N/A
sle3pe3bumz said:
well .. ii dont have to pick one .. but ii only have to pick one kos ii need to fill up all my 12 units .. and ii was planning to try & do 2 sciences so yeah .. or even chem is alright with me .. ii guess you could say im equally as good in both subjects .. but that aint very good still .. ><"
Have you had a look at any prelim physics or biology textbooks? If not, I would recommend you check out one or two. Have a browse through the modules, see what interests you more. :)

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Riviet said:
Have you had a look at any prelim physics or biology textbooks? If not, I would recommend you check out one or two. Have a browse through the modules, see what interests you more. :)
hmm .. ii will do that .. =] thanks .. and also is it necessary to do at least 2 sciences to get into pharmacy ? im just wondering .. or do ii have to do bridging course at uni ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)