• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help with Unsw application! (1 Viewer)

sunny

meh.
HSC
J0n said:
Thanks sunny :D.

I look in that book however, and it seems to be a bit different to:
http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/studen...tml#MathematicsandComputerScience(MATHC13972)
Which is what I used earlier. On that link, it says "Elective courses totalling 6 units of credit", so I just chose PHYS1000 from the list provided in that link. But in that handbook, it says "Elective courses totalling 9 units of credit" - which one is correct?
They've certainly made it confusing. On the maths page:

Stage 1
MATH1141 Higher Mathematics 1A
MATH1241 Higher Mathematics 1B
MATH1081 Discrete Mathematics
MATH1000 Modelling Real-World Phenomena
MATH2400 Finite Mathematics
COMP1011 Computing 1A
COMP1021 Computing 1B
Elective courses totalling 6 units of credit
Choose one from:

* CHEM1000 Chemistry at the Cutting Edge
* GEOS1000 Advances in Earth Sciences
* PHYS1000 Physics Thinking
* LIFE1001 Advanced Life Sciences Seminar
* LIFE2001 Advanced Life Sciences Seminar 2

Choose a General Education course of 3 units of credit
I think what they mean to say is:

Stage 1
MATH1141 Higher Mathematics 1A
MATH1241 Higher Mathematics 1B
MATH1081 Discrete Mathematics
MATH1000 Modelling Real-World Phenomena
MATH2400 Finite Mathematics
COMP1011 Computing 1A
COMP1021 Computing 1B
Elective courses totalling 6 units of credit
then in addition...
Choose one from: these 3uoc subjects
* CHEM1000 Chemistry at the Cutting Edge
* GEOS1000 Advances in Earth Sciences
* PHYS1000 Physics Thinking
* LIFE1001 Advanced Life Sciences Seminar
* LIFE2001 Advanced Life Sciences Seminar 2
Choose a General Education course of 3 units of credit
That makes more sense to me as it would add it up the full load of 48uoc a year.

sig

HSC
heh yeah now I see it in semester 2

but still I cannot see all my course options on one screen cuz when is search for the Plan - Mechatronics it doesn't return any results

Image Here

sunny

meh.
HSC
Then I suggest you search by catalogue instead, where you can type in all your courses for a session and enroll in them in one go.

sig

HSC
ohhhh I think I solved the problem....

since Mechatronics is one of the courses under Mechanical (inlcuding aerospace,manufacture, mecha and naval) my first year subjects are found under 'Mechanical Engineering' rather than mechatronics...

J0n

N/A
HSC
Ah, thanks sunny - that clears it up. Now it seems I need to find elective course(s) for 6 UOC. Where do I find which electives I can choose from - is it just any science courses with no prerequisites?

Princeps_

HSC
HELp

hey every1,1. it says there is a typical uoc of 24 credits for civil engineering, and a minimum of 3 uoc per session, but in yaer 1 it specifies particular subjects, and when u can complete them with certain prepquisites 4 each, what happens if we dont choose (up to) the typ 24 uoc per semester so when would we complete the actual subject (as in singular not the year i.e dynamics or statics if we dont choose it).2. Also it says u can complete dynamics in s 1 or s2 although when i search to add courses only statics is availale in s1. what gives??

thx in advance

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Princeps_ said:
hey every1,1. it says there is a typical uoc of 24 credits for civil engineering, and a minimum of 3 uoc per session, but in yaer 1 it specifies particular subjects, and when u can complete them with certain prepquisites 4 each, what happens if we dont choose (up to) the typ 24 uoc per semester so when would we complete the actual subject (as in singular not the year i.e dynamics or statics if we dont choose it).2. Also it says u can complete dynamics in s 1 or s2 although when i search to add courses only statics is availale in s1. what gives??

thx in advance
Can you clarify your questions? I don't really understand what you mean.
Bascially if you don't choose 24 uoc a session, you either have to catch up during winter/summer if the subject is offered during that time, or you take longer to complete your degree.

Princeps_

HSC
ok u basically answered my first, in the 2nd one a mean simply it says in the handbook that dynamics is available for session 1 and 2 although when i search in semester 1to add courses (in the online app process) it doesnt have dynamics.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
in course selection, add courses button
and RHS 'search by catalogue' plug in CVEN1024 in the first text box, click search, tick the box, continue, should be set

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
Renewable energy was easy to apply for, seeing at the only decision was whether to do mathermatics or higher mathematics, and physics or higher physics....but then trying to get a decent timetable....i start at 9 every day which will be a challenge...even managed to end up in a tut with me sister who is starting civil engineering

shannonm

HSC
N/A
btw (response to 3 posts up)
isnt dynamics usually done in session 2 by civil peeps?

person above:
there could be 6 (or 8+) individual tutes in each timeslot so your not guaranteed to be in the same tute with someone in the same timeslot

Princeps_

HSC
another question, with the timetable there were some times already allocated is this normal and standardised????

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
Princeps_ said:
another question, with the timetable there were some times already allocated is this normal and standardised????
Not unless you didn't allocate them for your subjects.

Princeps_

HSC
do u have to slelect S2 times now ir can u do it later???????? like b4 s2 starts

sunny

meh.
HSC
Princeps_ said:
do u have to slelect S2 times now ir can u do it later???????? like b4 s2 starts
Strictly you have to do it now, but it is not final. The uni uses this information to plan for the year.

The S2 enrollment can be varied during the mid year break between S1 and S2.

Dirt Poor

HSC
Can't your S2 choices be varied any time throughout throughout Semester 1 as well? I'm pretty sure they don't lock you out it.

Princeps_

HSC
last question, lets say u have a course that runs from 1pm-3pm (eg maths) and subsequently one that runs on the same day from 3pm-5pm (eg chem) do u miss out on some of the chem lecture/tute/e.tc or is there like a 5 min break or something between classes, so should i pick something that has a 2-3 hour break between sessions?

thx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)