Help (1 Viewer)

kevin101

HSC
Hey, how would i answer this dot point in the syllabus:

• Discuss the implications of mass increase, time dilation and length contraction for space travel.

tashisthebest

HSC
you gotta talk bout Einsteins relativity n stuff.

like why you can never reach the speed of light.. faster you travel, mass increase therefore require more fuel to increase speed which again adds to weight.

faster you go slower the time get for the astronauts allowing them to stay in space longer and go further.
just shit like this..

kickass91

HSC
-mention special relativity

implications are:

mass increase: more and more fuel is needed
time dilation : astronauts can traverse vast distances because time in the frame of reference inside the spaceship is dilated i.e. runs slower
Length contraction: the distance they need to traverse is shorter from the astronaut's frame of reference however this is pretty much due to the time dilation effect.

whitnall8

HSC
Also, in some marking criteria (I think it was CSSA) they wanted you to write about how today, humans are not capable of reaching the speeds where the effects of relativity will be significant, but it is something for the future (they gave the example of the light sail).

I think that's only if it's a four mark question though: 3 marks for the three effects and the fourth for the above

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)