• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

help~ (1 Viewer)

raspb3rry

♥♥♥
HSC
Can someone help me with these points in the syllabus? I have to write about them, and I've been to those sites with the notes and all that - but its for the HSC. So please help explain what these points mean with any additional information would be great~

[x] outline how the modulation of amplitude or frequency of visible light, microwaves and/or radio waves can be used to transmit information.

[x] discuss problems produced by the limited range of the electromagnetic spectrum available for communication purposes.

help explain?

Rahul

Dead Member
this is the prelim syllabus isnt it..

for the first one...look into how am and fm radio waves are transfered. like the carrier wave and modular wave, i think it was.

for the second one, you would look at what waves get intefered with due to the atmosphere. some have advatages, others not. advatnages, would be radiowaves and how they can be bounced of the ionosphere. disadvantages would be things like distortion of wavesdue to atmosphere and solar activity.

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
Im pretty sure that this is from the world communicates topic. That second point is badly worded but just to add on to rahul's stuff
for advantages:
-EM communication (usually of wavelengths longer than light) is the fastest form of communication (EM waves travel at the speed of light).
-EM waves(light, micro, radio) provide a the wide range of communication mediums available for general purpose use. crap on about the improved standard of living if you want i.e.radio waves provide people with am/fm radios and tvs, microwaves for mobile phones and light in fibre optics for telephones and internet

For disadvantages
-not all Em waves can bounce off the ionosphere, hence were limited to a certain wavelength for long distance communication. this then causes frequency congestion, another problem
- unknown effects of using EM waves for communication especially microwaves in mobile phones

Last edited:

Rahul

Dead Member
it doesnt really matter if it was prelim or not...hsc includes part of teh prelim work, so technically hsc help can also include prelim help :p :D

lol, heinz, my post WAS worded VERY badly....:p

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
Originally posted by Rahul
it doesnt really matter if it was prelim or not...hsc includes part of teh prelim work, so technically hsc help can also include prelim help :p :D

lol, heinz, my post WAS worded VERY badly....:p
No, i meant the second dot point question :) You cant really "discuss problems produced by the limited range of the electromagnetic spectrum available for communication purposes" Discuss is for and against, but the question directs you to focus on the against i.e. problems. It should really be an account for or analyse or something along those lines. But now that i read your second point again... :p

Rahul

Dead Member
lol, yep....try posting a helpful post half asleep/half intoxicated. :D

physics is too much content and not enough conceptual thinking...but no point starting that argument agains bos AGAIN. :p

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
advatnages, would be radiowaves and how they can be bounced of the ionosphere. disadvantages would be things like distortion of wavesdue to atmosphere and solar activity.
Actually if you want to be pedantic only High Frequency Radio Waves get bounced off the ionosphere VHF and UHF transmissions dont. This limits the amount of bandwidth available to you.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
xayma, you are soo pedantic. :p
But it is an important distinction, how many hand-held HF radios do you see? Trust me LOS is needed with VHF radios, especially when you are planted on the other side of a hill a few km's away if there are other hills in the way you wont get a good transmission even on top of a hill.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
It's pedantics like you that will get 100 in the HSC :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)