HELP! (1 Viewer)

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
My last post on BoS before I make my bloody mind. My goal is medicine and I have two pre-med degrees that I can consider.

1. Bachelor of Adv Science at UWS.
Pros:
- Campy campus is close to my home.
- Generally easier to get good grades in, hence a higher gpa for med transfer/post grad.
- Less competition as its UWS.
- Ipad
- Social life as most of my friends are also going to the campus
- UWS medicine entry scheme.
- I have 3 shots at Umat, and 2 Gamsats.
- Could transfer into other post-grad courses i.e pharmacy, physio, radiography etc...

Cons:
- Not many jobs with an adv science degree apart from research and academic.
- 'Useless' degree
- If I don't get into medicine, then I wasted my time doing the degree.
- UWS is not well regarded compared to other uni's in sydeny.

2. Bachelor of Pharmacy.
Pros:
- Usyd is well regarded.
- I have a back-up if I don't get into med
- Some ppl even consider post-grad pharmacy after adv. science, so I won't have to worry abt transfering into pharmacy if all fails in adv science.
- I could also try for medicine from pharmacy (4 Umats and 2 gamsats)

Cons:
- Pharmacy is a diffcult degree, thus it would be diffcult to maintain a high gpa for entry into med.
- Usyd is far from home and I have to travel 45 mins by train
- It has maths, and I hate maths XD though I enjoy chemistry and biology.
- Market is saturated by pharmacists atm and finding a job will be diffcult.

I have already spoke to dylan and others who have thoroughly expressed their views and answered my doubts. But in this post, I just want ppl to choose between the two options above as I can't decide myself. I wouldn't mind studying either, so please help and decide for me as I can't make up my mind.

Last edited:

p3rf3ction

HSC
"If I don't get into medicine, then I wasted my time doing the degree."

Good. The more pressure you have the more likely you'll succeed.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
I'd give a greater consideration to the B Adv Science course at UWS; it is closer to home and like you said it is easier to maximize your marks. If Medicine is your ultimate goal you have to consider the course which will allow you to get in sooner and also give you those desirable marks. All the best ~

plasticities

HSC
My opinion is pretty biased but I'd say go with BSc Adv. At least within the degree you can choose what to major in, what interests you, instead of being stuck in a pretty fixed degree, where you would have to transfer out to do something different.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Yer I agree with you all, I think Adv Science is very flexible in terms of what you study; Pharmacy not so.
Guess I will have to decline Pharmacy then.

will_

HSC
Uni Grad
depends on your level of determination. if you strongly want to get into medicine, do med sci at uws. if you are still half-heartedly hoping for med, do pharmacy. best of luck which ever way you go

RookieLaw

Audit.
HSC
My opinion is pretty biased but I'd say go with BSc Adv. At least within the degree you can choose what to major in, what interests you, instead of being stuck in a pretty fixed degree, where you would have to transfer out to do something different.
This, and also pharmacy is actually pretty difficult, and you might not be able to maintain a GPA of 5.7 if you find that you've lost interest a couple weeks in;
Just my opinion though.

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Go with advanced science!

Also, be generous in that you should apply to lot's of universities. This includes interstate ones!

I know a guy who did that degree for a year and is now going to JCU to study medicine.

Just don't pin all your hopes on the one university! Medicine is medicine regardless of where you go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)