help (1 Viewer)

SLEEPINGKING

HSC
Can someone provide full working out for the following question?

The heat of combustion of 2-propanol is 33.5kJ/g. calculate the enthalpy change for the combustion reaction.

HSC

The heat of combustion of 2-propanol is 33.5kJ/g. calculate the enthalpy change for the combustion reaction.
I'm not sure if we use mcAt here (not needed)
m= 60.095 (molar mass of propanol)

33.5 kj per g so 60.095, would be 33.5 x 60.095= 2013.1825kj
and add a negative sign

Last edited:

DepressedPenguino

HSC
I got approx. 2010 kJ/mol as my answer but since it is an exothermic reaction (combustion), the change in enthalpy should be negative so -2010kJ/mol

DepressedPenguino

HSC
Ehhh it was asking for change in ethalpy not change in Temp (Degrees). I see you got 2013kj/mol? That is kind da close to my ans. Perhaps different periodic tables

HSC
Ehhh it was asking for change in ethalpy not change in Temp (Degrees). I see you got 2013kj/mol? That is kind da close to my ans. Perhaps different periodic tables
Ohh I see that I went on to an unnecessary part. I didn't round up until the last bit, maybe that's why. Is my working out similar to yours?

DepressedPenguino

HSC
My ans is quite straight forward:
Simply 33.5kJ/g x 60 (molar mass of propanol according to my periodic table) = - 2010 kJ/mol (exothermic reacttion)

DepressedPenguino

HSC
Oh what... putting in the 0.095 makes a great difference
Thanks for reminding me about the negative sign
No problem :) and yeah, sometimes doing extra steps might result in an answer that is a couple digits away from the ans that you are suppose to get.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
Oh what... putting in the 0.095 makes a great difference
Thanks for reminding me about the negative sign
Negative sign isn't needed when calculating heat of combustion calculations, since it's already a given that combustion will be exothermic.

Not entirely sure of this, but i thought heat of combustion was already the enthalpy change? And you've already given it in KJ/g. Unless there's some formal definition that enthalpy changes needs to be KJ/mol.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
enthalpy change is delta H
so negative.

apart from that exactly as ^

your question is probably wrong, usually molar heat of combustion is per mole. delta h is per gram.

SLEEPINGKING

HSC
It was a question from a past exam paper and the question gives info about heat of combustion not molar

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
So is the only thing this question is asking to do to convert kJ/g to kJ/mol ???

Silly Sausage

HSC

Is that the whole question?
For change in enthalpy , you'll need some more information.

Last edited:

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
It was a question from a past exam paper and the question gives info about heat of combustion not molar
Post the exact question, you may have worded it incorrectly.

enthalpy change is delta H
so negative.

apart from that exactly as ^

your question is probably wrong, usually molar heat of combustion is per mole. delta h is per gram.
HSC questions won't actually ask for enthalpy change... they'll word it like "heat of combustion," so you don't need to place the negative sign, since it's assumed combustion will release energy. Though actually for the question being asked by the OP just put a - on the 33.5 KJ/g and you got your answer i suppose.

Last edited:

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
Is that the whole question?
For change in enthalpy , you'll need some more information.
Assuming this is in constant pressure, yer it is equal to that aswell by the way the question is worded there are multiple answers you can come to. Though that value doesn't really mean much since all it gives is the energy lost by combustion/absorbed by the water and doesn't give a "useful" answer.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)