help (1 Viewer)

user18181818

HSC
i get that the supply of aud will increase as ppl will take their investments out as it is less profitable to do so and sell aud, but how can i determine the impact on the TWI?
1696386018780.png

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
think about the concept of interest rate differentials + if you said sell aud, which depreciates the currency and the twi is an exchange rate index, won't the twi decrease

so it must be D

Last edited:

indeed

HSC
think about the concept of interest rate differentials + if you said sell aud, which depreciates the currency and the twi is an exchange rate index, won't the twi decrease

so it must be B
Won't it be D, cause the TWI does decrease, but the supply of AUD increases as more sell AUD for other currencies

indeed

HSC
why would TWI decrease because aren't exports now cheaper?
Yh but that's the very indirect effect: increased supply of AUD, depreciation AUD, international competitveness of exports increase, increase TWI

But the more direct effect is: reduced interest rates in AUS vs world, less inward foreign investment, less demand for AUD, depreciation AUD, decrease TWI

user18181818

HSC
Yh but that's the very indirect effect: increased supply of AUD, depreciation AUD, international competitveness of exports increase, increase TWI

But the more direct effect is: reduced interest rates in AUS vs world, less inward foreign investment, less demand for AUD, depreciation AUD, decrease TWI
wait what if the AUD depreciated doesn't that directly mean that exports will rise

indeed

HSC
wait what if the AUD depreciated doesn't that directly mean that exports will rise
Wait I kinda explained that bad. So here are the two cases:

A; reduced interest rates in AUD vs world, less inward foreign investment, increased supply/decreased demand of AUD (as ppl invest in other countries), depreciation AUD/decrease TWI, international competitiveness of exports increase, appreciation AUD/increase TWI

B; reduced interest rates in AUS vs world, less inward foreign investment, increased supply/decreased demand for AUD, depreciation AUD/decrease TWI

Do you see how A (reasoning it based on exports) requires a decrease in TWI then results later in an increase in TWI (as underlined)? Due to the many steps, this takes longer to happen, while B is more direct

user18181818

HSC
Wait I kinda explained that bad. So here are the two cases:

A; reduced interest rates in AUD vs world, less inward foreign investment, increased supply/decreased demand of AUD (as ppl invest in other countries), depreciation AUD/decrease TWI, international competitiveness of exports increase, appreciation AUD/increase TWI

B; reduced interest rates in AUS vs world, less inward foreign investment, increased supply/decreased demand for AUD, depreciation AUD/decrease TWI

Do you see how A (reasoning it based on exports) requires a decrease in TWI then results later in an increase in TWI (as underlined)? Due to the many steps, this takes longer to happen, while B is more direct
okay i think what i'm not understanding is how does depreciation AUD immediately cause a decrease TWI? like what happens when AUD depreciates that causes the TWI to decrease?

indeed

HSC
okay i think what i'm not understanding is how does depreciation AUD immediately cause a decrease TWI? like what happens when AUD depreciates that causes the TWI to decrease?
Oh ok, well the TWI is a measure of the currency's value, so the way you know whether AUD appreciate or depre is if TWI improves or deterioates

indeed

HSC
The AUD value is normally measured via bilateral (AUD/USD), but TWI is another measure as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)