• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Help!!! (1 Viewer)

bright_angell

OMG my mw is due next week - as i just noticed in my diary- n my topic is practically absurd for my timeframe-so far there have been NO drafts and i am looking into whether jesus was a historical fugure or merely a myth...i know i should specify it but i cant think of anything more about jesus which has much debate on it....can anyone think of anything? It would be IMMENSELY appreciated....man im so scared....

Thanx heaps ppl

Plebeian

Um, sorry to say this but you might face some problems with that topic. See, you're not allowed to do things which are already major parts of any history syllabus, and the "historicity of Jesus Christ" is a case study for Hist Ext. in the HSC:

History Extension syllabus said:
Option 7: The Historicity of Jesus Christ
Principal focus: students investigate changing interpretations of the evidence
relating to Jesus Christ.
Students examine the approaches to history and interpretations (including recent
historiography) that have resulted in historical debate in the areas of:
– biblical presentations of Jesus Christ
– other historical and archaeological evidence relating to Jesus Christ
– the Messiah figure
– the radical figure
– social and religious context of his life.
If you're looking for topics, try browsing the "2005 History Extension major works" thread.

If you're confused about what you need to do for your assignment, ask away, or add me to msn (contact in profile).

bright_angell

Are you sure about that- according to my knowledge that syllubus was given to my class as a starting point for choices in our major work...and i also know that u can do anything from that syllubus unless you are doing it in class (duh!) and since in doin JFK, my teacher said it was fine

SO IM NOT WELL AND TRUELY FUCKED AND STOP SCREWIN WIT MY HEAD...

shheesh....i mean, i handed the proposal in and that was fine

ps. i handed it in last week- so what are u guys talkin about?

X

xeuyrawp

bright_angell said:
Are you sure about that- according to my knowledge that syllubus was given to my class as a starting point for choices in our major work...and i also know that u can do anything from that syllubus unless you are doing it in class (duh!)
No you can't, your teachers are not allowed to mark anything if it overlaps with any options of the syllabus, regardless of whether you're doing it or not.

Abbeygale

HSC
Actually, our teacher seems pretty willing to mark things that overlap with the syllabus, so long as we're not actually studying it. She suggested to me that I look at the syllabus when I was stuck for a topic.

I don't see why there would be a problem, really. The overlapping rule seems to be to prevent us using information and resources we've gained in class in our MW.

Is there somewhere we can check that? The BOS website maybe? You seem pretty certain PwarYuex- where did you read that rule?

emo_chick

HSC
Abbeygale said:
Actually, our teacher seems pretty willing to mark things that overlap with the syllabus, so long as we're not actually studying it. She suggested to me that I look at the syllabus when I was stuck for a topic.

I don't see why there would be a problem, really. The overlapping rule seems to be to prevent us using information and resources we've gained in class in our MW.

Is there somewhere we can check that? The BOS website maybe? You seem pretty certain PwarYuex- where did you read that rule?
i think it depends on the school and teacher. i know my teacher wouldn't let me do something that was overlapped the modern syllabus..but i know others who had teachers that were fine with it.

but don't the teachers send our essays to the BOS later on? i was told that it does or something..

Plebeian

Firstly, AtticusFinch, shut up. This is a place for constructive comment, not frightening people who are uncertain and come for help.

On topic, the actual quote from the syllabus (p.26-7) is:

The Board of Studies said:
the topic: ...
- may be developed from a case study but should cover substantially different
ground
- must not overlap significantly with the examinable content of any other School
Certificate or Higher School Certificate course.
So technically, it doesn't matter whether you're studying it or not, you're not meant to do it. I suspect Abbeygale is right in saying "The overlapping rule seems to be to prevent us using information and resources we've gained in class in our MW.", but I think it's meant to also cover the fact that there will be lots of resources out there for other case studies too (eg. on places like Bored). It's designed to get you thinking about historical inquiry and rewards imagination or interest in history.

That said, if your teacher has no objection to a particular topic, then you will have no problem in doing it. They are not forced to send your essays to BOS after they are marked; there is a competition you can enter if you wish.

X

xeuyrawp

Edit: Bright_angel, you've no longer got my help.

Last edited by a moderator:

lee.s

HSC
i dont know if this has anything to do with anything but my ext hist mw topic is jesus christ's marriage and my teacher has no problem with that so yeah... maybe if u do something specific in jcs life than just the whole "myth or truth" factor... i dunno.. im freaking out!! mines due on friday...!

bright_angell

lee.s said:
i dont know if this has anything to do with anything but my ext hist mw topic is jesus christ's marriage and my teacher has no problem with that so yeah... maybe if u do something specific in jcs life than just the whole "myth or truth" factor... i dunno.. im freaking out!! mines due on friday...!

and whats wrong with doing jesus life-myth or truth- *COUGH*COUGH*

veridis

droog
HSC
something original? on jesus? unlikely
still like almost any topic "man or myth" could easily produce a killer essay if handled properly so good luck

X

xeuyrawp

veridis said:
something original? on jesus? unlikely
still like almost any topic "man or myth" could easily produce a killer essay if handled properly so good luck
yes but remember a teacher reading the same stuff will have less change of being impressed. THis is exactly the same in Ext.2 English with "teen angst" short stories, and Sylvia Plath critical essays.

lee.s

HSC
bright_angell said:
and whats wrong with doing jesus life-myth or truth- *COUGH*COUGH*
heyy just trying to help!! obviously it would be great to do myth or man thing but if its due next week... its just something that will need a hell of a lot of research. if u refine ur question you might find it easier to research... i dunno.

veridis

droog
HSC
also remember by the time the teacher marks they should be reasonably familliar with most student topics and its very unlikely a single class would have more than 1 student on same topic. less chance of teacher getting "bored" than in ee2

X

xeuyrawp

I just realised that the starter of the thread posted another useless call for cry.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
PwarYuex said:
I just realised that the starter of the thread posted another useless call for cry.
yeah by the time someone sees it its too late..

X

xeuyrawp

mr_brightside said:
yeah by the time someone sees it its too late..
No, by the time she'd realise that you have to post questions that can be answered, it's too late.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)