help =[ (1 Viewer)

hall of mirrors

HSC
I'm going over the 'Individuals and Work' sylabbus and my teacher has done such a crappy job at teaching us the 'students learn to' column. it's been like completely ignored, that is however, iv notcied, where most of the long responses come from. so no wonder my class gets such bad marks. anyway,
for this one;

[x] Explain significant influences that have impacted upon how people perceive work

and

[x] explore the gendered nature of paid and unpaid work

I am totally lost. If anyone could help i'd really appreciate it.
tearing out my hair here. oh and does anyone else HATE THIS SUBJECT.

sally_33

HSC
hey

my teacher didnt go through this either but from what i can come up with:

[x] Explain significant influences that have impacted upon how people perceive work

People perceptions of work vary by the income that the job provides, sesnse of satisfaction provided by the job, what industry the job is in, how much education the job requires (e.g. university graduate or not) and whether it involves physical labour. I suppose you could also go into historical definitions, i.e. in the past work was regarded as effort given in return for money, but due to the changing nature of society volunteer work and domestic work are now also classified as being 'work' - (contemporary definition being 'effort directed towards a goal').

[x] Explore the gendered nature of paid and unpaid work

In the past women were more likely to participate in unpaid work (E.g. volunteer work, domestic duties) as men were the breadwinners and responsible for supporting the family financially. You could say that to some extent this ins now changing, as women make up more and more of the paid workforce, but women are still the majority of those in unpaid work because of the 'helping' nature of such work. Also with paid work, men are more likely to be in the highest positions in companies, and also more likely to do physical labour, whereas women traditionally work in helping professions such as nursing, teaching etc. Again this is changing, but due to past societal values is still true to some extent.

I hope that helps a bit, but i still dont really know if im on the right track.. Anyone else??

Edit: this is better

2004 HSC Q Outline one factor that impacts on how people perceive the value aand status of work (5 marks).

Markers comments
Excellent responses provided a clear outline of a factor that impacts on work value and status. Examples included income, education, qualifications and type of work. A relevant example was given to support this factor; for example, doctors, due to their high income level and work that they do, are highly valued in society; high income provides greater opportunity to meet needs and attain material possessions that are higher status indicators in our society.
and 2001 HSC Q Describe how patterns of paid and unpaid work differ for men and women (3 marks).

Markers comments
This part was generally well answered. Better candidates clearly differentiated between paid and unpaid work using relevant examples for both men and women. Reasons were also given for the current changes in paid and unpaid work. Excellent responses outlined the historical differences in the patterns of paid and unpaid work between men and women; the effect of
changes in the political system resulting in the integration of women in the paid workforce and that the role of men and women in the household and as financial providers has slowly moved to a more shared and equal role.
Accompanying this, candidates addressed issues such as role reversal and varying patterns of work throughout the family life cycle. For example, unpaid work becomes more common for both men and women during the retirement stage.

Last edited:

hall of mirrors

HSC
Thanks heaps! that is very helpful, where did u get those questions with the marking comments from?

Good luck =]

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
hall of mirrors said:
Thanks heaps! that is very helpful, where did u get those questions with the marking comments from?

Good luck =]
you can get past papers and markers comments from board of studies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)