helppppppppppppppppp (1 Viewer)

*HonEy*

HSC
if they ask u 2 do a modern reading of king lear would u talk about the readings youve looked at and then explain your reading last in like 2 paragraphss im confused!!!! HOW WOULD U KNOW IF THEy are asking for your Interpretation

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
Hey HonEy -

De-stress! You'll be OK. If you post the problematic question, we'll see if we can help you decipher what it's asking of you, and perhaps also allay some of your fears about what's required.

Kalashnikov

I think I can translate that...

I'm going to have a guess here.

A modern interpretation, theatrically, of the play is an adaption of the play ie Paul Schofields version, Harlos Productions etc. You would bring out aspects from that production (ie theatrics, alterations) that the question asks for. It will probably ask how the play has been adapted, and this is fairly easy to show as above.

A modern critical interpretation, however, lies on the theories of feminists and Freud. These should be explained and cited with examples as the question may ask.

Hope that helps.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
But do they expect you to know a "modern interpretation"? You could well have studied a Humanist and a Modernist production of Lear. Classic Board of Studies question writing is to include a vague, worrisome qualifier like "modern". Modern could refer to a contemporary production or to a production from the turn of the century, not so broadly to any production other than the traditional Jacobean one. If I knew the specific question it might be easier to help HonEy figure out what it wants and what they can ask.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
*HonEy* said:
if they ask u 2 do a modern reading of king lear would u talk about the readings youve looked at and then explain your reading last in like 2 paragraphss im confused!!!! HOW WOULD U KNOW IF THEy are asking for your Interpretation
ok...The first thing you need to do is calm down, breathe - seriously. Then you need to define to yourself what modern means, which is: relatively recently.
Now we'll look at what contemporary means: like NOW(at least in BOS terms as my teacher stressed).
Now, like goldendawn said, perhaps you can tell us the exact question? It would help us by giving an example that we can discuss with you.

*HonEy*

HSC
kami said:
ok...The first thing you need to do is calm down, breathe - seriously. Then you need to define to yourself what modern means, which is: relatively recently.
Now we'll look at what contemporary means: like NOW(at least in BOS terms as my teacher stressed).
Now, like goldendawn said, perhaps you can tell us the exact question? It would help us by giving an example that we can discuss with you.

for example last yrs question was 'Interpretations of text can shift and change with time and place' i understand that .... but then 'considering ur time and place reflect the ways in which context has shaped your critical Interpretation of the pescribed text'' :S does that mean HOW WOULD u read KIng llear..... and how has this reflected ur contextt but then what bout the different readings uve learntt i really dnt understanddd!!! :(…..

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
*HonEy* said:
for example last yrs question was 'Interpretations of text can shift and change with time and place' i understand that .... but then 'considering ur time and place reflect the ways in which context has shaped your critical Interpretation of the pescribed text'' :S does that mean HOW WOULD u read KIng llear..... and how has this reflected ur contextt but then what bout the different readings uve learntt i really dnt understanddd!!! :(…..
Well interpretations alter over time and in different places and cultures - you understand this right? For example the Elizabethan/Jacobean era ensured things were viewed very differently for there was a great emphasis placed on order and structure(which in conjunction with a little political saavy would have meant that opening scene were Lear abuses this structure was geared for the Elizabethan viewpoint), you also have a desenstisation to violence, and with the trouble roused by the short lived British Commonwealth around that time, a play portraying a King commiting such acts would have been fairly risky.
But then you've got more modern interpretations which reflect things that Shakespeare may not even have intended or at least to such a degree. For instance the psychological interpretations of the characters motives and any productions that highlight this clearly arose out of a different culture and society, you also have the rise of feminism and so on which all impact the more modern views(ie the society that you the essay writer live ;)). So you'd essentially be providing an evaluation of how you think(academically and critically) Lear should be interpreted and you'd reference the readings and critical theories and such along the way. I hope some of this made sense lol (posting before bed time is never a good idea...you end up saying the most embarassing things...:p)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)