henry Lawson - loaded dog (1 Viewer)

bunkerhunter

Hey.
I was just tyring to unravelling :chainsaw: the "type of australian" that is represented in each character in henry lawson's short story "the loaded dog".

I was wondering whether the dog "tommy" respresents the resillience and "never give up" attitude of the Australian bushman. I think this because of his unwillingness to let go of the cartridge.

Also could someone give me some quotes to show how the human characters in loaded dog resemble the larrikin ideal of the australian bush.

Are there any other "type of australian" attributes that could be attributed to the characters in the loaded dog

Thanks
Mark

^___^
HSC
hmm, i am having the same trouble as u there Mark with the loaded dog...i ain't so sure what lawson is trying to say...

tommy could have the attitude of "never give up", but i think its more to its playful nature that got him running around with a cartridge in its mouth....

i am thinking its got to do with the relationship between the bushman and its pet dogs...but if thats the case, i was wondering why didn't lawson write how Dave, Jack or Jim took the cartridge away from the dog...

so i am still struggling with it atm and currently looking for a related material for it...

if i see anything, i'll post it up here again...

HSC
man that story is pretty funny how that other dog got blown up...hehehe

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
I am not sure if you really should connect Tommy's characteristics to an Australian stereotype. Personally I think Tommy was not unwilling to let go of the cartridge, it's what he used to do - he's a retriver and is determined to deliver whatever it "retrives" to Dave's lot.

"..." has made a good point there, and it oftens confuse people who study the loaded dog - yes, Lawson could have written that Dave, Jack or Jim eventually takes the cartridge out of Tommy's mouth and discard it or unload it or whatever.. but if this really happened, you wouldn't have a hilarious "The Loaded Dog".. um.. I mean, the story probably wouldn't exist anymore.

I think you should keep in mind that "The Loaded Dog" is meant to be a hilarious Australian yarn and its purpose is to entertain.

but... bunkerhunter, you ideas are good and you should develope on it if you feel comfortable with it :) Good Luck!

P.S. don't foget about the Advice Line

^___^
HSC
courtesy of Brad Rushworth

The Loaded Dog
Purpose:
Entertains with the dog chasing the men and blowing up the other dog and it informs with the idea of the importance of mateship in the bush.
Plot:
A group of men (Dave, Jim and Andy) are camping and use cartridges to blow up ground searching for gold. They get sick of fishing the normal way, so they decide to blow up the fish in the waterhole. When the cartridge is built, the dog steals it and accidentally lights it. Tommy (the dog) chases the men with it, and in the end blows up this other yellow dog that nobody likes.
Themes:
Human interaction with the environment and associated consequences of manipulating it..
Human and dog relationship, importance of mateship in the bush. No discrimination amongst characters; dog is an important friend.
Narrative Structure:
Orientation: The three men are camping on a riverbank searching for gold. They invent a way of using blasting powder to catch fish since the conventional way is ineffective.
Complication: Tommy lights the fuse in the fire and chases the men.
Middle: The tale is crafted to describe the humorous details of Tommy chasing the men who desperately try to avoid him. Tommy eventually has a whole town running from him, while he is enjoying all the excitement and attention.
Climax: Tommy is confronted by a vicious yellow mongrel cattle-dog who chases Tommy and steals the cartridge from him.
Resolution: The yellow dog is blown up and other pack dogs suffer burns. The Bushmen laugh in hysterics. Dave apologises but it is remembered for years afterward.
Characterisation:
The main character is Tommy the dog.
He seemed to take life, the world, his two-legged mates, and his own instinct as a huge joke.
Tommy is described as having a red, idiotic slobbering grin of appreciation of his own silliness. He is fun loving and a great retriever. The trio loves him and he is loyal to them too.
When chasing townsfolk he is described, he tried to make friends with everybody showing his good nature. And the dog that had done it all, Tommy, the great, idiotic mongrel retriever, came slobbering round Dave and lashing his legs with his tail, and trotted home after him, smiling his broadest, longest, and reddest smile of amiability, and apparently satisfied for one afternoon with the fun hed had.
Language Techniques:
Use of humour throughout. The descriptions are embellished to excite the audience.
Detailed descriptions of how the cartridge is made, where the dog chases them, their reactions and the consequences all appeal strongly to the audience. The story is comical and hilarious since we emotionally connect to the group.
Limited presence of an authorial voice makes a more unified tone and is told by an observer who exaggerates comic detail.
Black humour It was very good blasting powder.
Strong tension crisis and dramatic imagery dog grinned, legs started before his brain.
Action words eg swooped, bound round (assonance), spluttering, dive, flung, burst, jolt, wedged, etc
Metaphoric descriptions coloured fool
3rd person objective???
Style:
Short paragraphs build tension
Descriptive language, Euphemisms
Humorous tone
Sardonic humour, bitterly mocking, cynical, negative look at the world.

sandy1

HSC
hey people DOES ANYONE HAV THE FULL DECONSTRUCTION OF THE SHORT STORY THE LOADED DOG BY HENRY LAWSON I AM DESPERATE AND NEED IT FAST PLEASE. I HAVE SEARCHED EVERYWHERE FOR IT AND CANNOT FIND IT

mmmm.

HSC
It's been a while since this thread has been here and i am wondering if anyone has notes on 'The Loaded Dog'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)