"HERO" the MOVIE.. WHO's SEEN IT? LOVED IT? -> possible SPOILERS depending on others) (1 Viewer)

Hero - Did You Like It?!

• I loved it!

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • It was quite okay actually!

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • WTF?! Not my type of movie!

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Some aspects about it were a bit.... (please specify)

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
hated it

there is nothing deep about it

if i wanted pretty colours i would stare at a wall for two hours

and SPOILER!@!!!!!!!!!!!!

did no one else notice that if the "hero" had done nothing the entire movie, there would have been the exact same fucking outcome. how is he a hero?

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
thejosiekiller said:
quentin tarantino made hero? or did he just fund it

ive noticed in reservoir dogs, pulp fiction and kill bill u will always find guys in black suits and the occassional use of a samari sword
if quentin had made it every word of dialogue would have been said within 5 minutes

oh and another thing; it is only postmodern in that it is a glorified choose-your-own-adventure.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
it's proving the fact that when one understands another's motives etc.

He aquires greater understanding

Remember kids, the journey, not the arrival, matters.

OMGOSH!!!

oh, and I warned about the possiblity of spoilers in the title!!! :p

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
it's proving the fact that when one understands another's motives etc.

He aquires greater understanding

Remember kids, the journey, not the arrival, matters.

OMGOSH!!!

oh, and I warned about the possiblity of spoilers in the title!!! :p
there are no motives other than to make china look awesome

he doesn't acquire shit. i won't say why because that would give away the entire plot.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
meh. I liked it. True, they made china look great, but plot wise was good too.

It was pure eye candy though. Some aspects were a bit "that was so ridiculous"... but
Go the breaking of traditional story telling!!!...

I really enjoyed it.

Oh, and greater understanding, meh it depends.

It suggests that he aquires greater understanding etc. Nameless first told a "fake" story remember? His intentions obviously were blurred. He's making a decision, and with this decision he realises uniting China - whether its good or not etc.

Whether that decision itself is "greater understanding" is irrelevant in factual terms, because the narrative suggested that it was "greater understanding".

Why the hell am I saying this? Am I trying to get little new Year12's to use this text?

I'll hush now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
meh. I liked it. True, they made china look great, but plot wise was good too.

It was pure eye candy though. Some aspects were a bit "that was so ridiculous"... but
Go the breaking of traditional story telling!!!...

I really enjoyed it.
i would say it was more a ploy for more tourism into china

traditional story telling has merit, especially compared to that

and the fight scenes were a bitter disappointment

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Nick said:
i would say it was more a ploy for more tourism into china
I heard that the movie was made for China and wasn't going to go global, until Tarantino arrived and loved it to bits?

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
I heard that the movie was made for China and wasn't going to go global, until Tarantino arrived and loved it to bits?
yeah you can have internal tourism

anyway i can't be bothered arguing about it, waste of 13 dollars in my opinion. if you like staring at postcards, then watch it

alby

cool duckie
HSC
i saw it yesterday.......it was amazing!!!!
i love the storyline...even though the whole, returning to snow, blade & sky after they'd been stabbed was a bit confusing...
the fights were pretty snazzy....the whole matrix slow-mo was interesting & that fight between nameless & sword on the water was pretty cool

overall, the best bit would have to be the 'our land' thing at the end....so cute
& nameless & snow fighting off all the arrows outside the caligraphy place was mad

the snow-broken sword relationship was weird, in the end it was like she loved him, but didnt want to realise it or something...she was jealouse of him & sky i think..??
oh & that scene with snow & sky, all those leaves....bloody awesome...then going from yellow to red once snow stabbed sky...funky
dont you just love a movie that tells its story in the background lol

leathaface

Watched it almost 2 years ago, its good movie...

The movie was directed by Zhang Yimou, not Quentin Tarantino.

Watch Yimou's new movie, House Of Flying Daggers (also stars Zhang ziyi), the movie's plot is easier to follow then Hero, the end fight is very believeable too, they don't fly or do any large amounts of fancy moves, since they are full of hatred towards each other, they go about REALLY trying to kill each other, its a beautiful and more colourful film as well.

concession

Respected Member
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
I noticed people walking out of this film!!!

My guess is that its either cuz its a tad postmodern with the changing/alternative stories, or because it's very cultural.
maybe they were hungry, thirsty or needed to go to the toilet?

thats my guess

Silverstone

Obey, The Law.
HSC
Saw It Today.

Wow, a horridly simple concept shruddled in miscellanious and ambiguous plot vehicles. Proof of how amazing direction can save a lacking screenplay.

6.5/10

Zhang Ziyi was the best :D

dangerousdave

HSC
I just saw it, great movie... Simple plot, yet still a good one.
I liked the first fight with Sky, he was cool, wish he played a bigger part in the movie.
When the Qin army attacked the calligraphy house, that was cool watching all the arrows fly in.
Fight scene did start to get repetitve though, but never the less still a great movie.

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
WOrse acting

WORST MOVIE EVER

I recommend this movie as a light comedy

that is all

fantasia

HSC
i really liked the movie, not only the artistic features but i also enjoyed the plotline. It wasnt that confusing if you think about it. I guess its the same story told three different ways.

snow does love broken sword, but cause she doesnt understand the whole 'our land' concept, thats why she turned her back on him. i mean in the end she committed suicide using the same sword she used to kill broken sword.. i thought that was a nice scene. i really liked the whole snow-broken sword relationship, because it wasnt a whole lovey-dovey relationship throughout the film, there was alot of tension between the two, but the ending when they die together just brings it all together. the film portrayed several aspects of love; jealousy(red), romantic love(blue), and then lastly what i would call the true representation of love (white). Sky (donnie yen) should have had a greater role in the movie, since he's one of the best martial artists around nowadays.

i heard hero is based on a true story, there was really that emporer who went on to conquer the other parts of china and unified the country. thats how the great wall of china was built

the main concept behind the story is how the end can justify the means, hence alot of people say that the film projects a communist outlook. the reason why nameless doesnt do anything is because he's thinking of the greater good and peace for the whole population. the endless twists that the story had kept me intrigued. loved it. 9/10

Last edited:

Bone577

HSC
N/A
There are complaints of nationalistic undertones or even glorification of China. People don't complain half as much that every second Hollywood flick is a glorification of the US, sometimes disgustingly so, most notable is Rambo, glorified a immoral and terrorist war against Nicaragua.

Politics aside, 9/10, alot of it for cinematography alone, which is inarguably fantastic. In fact production value is brilliant. Very polished, very well sorted. I will leave the subjective portions out of my consideration as it is a matter of opinion.

But if i was to compare it to my current benchmark, A Clockwork Orange, I would have to lower its score to a 7 or even 6.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)