hey changing SOR1 to SOR2 (1 Viewer)

warstalker

I dunno
HSC
hey i got a friend who is in year 11 doing SOR1 but in year 12 he want sto do SOR2 can you do that?? isnt that you have to complete the Preliminary exactly the same as the HSC?

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
warstalker said:
hey i got a friend who is in year 11 doing SOR1 but in year 12 he want sto do SOR2 can you do that?? isnt that you have to complete the Preliminary exactly the same as the HSC?
Its up to the individual school but it really shouldnt be an issue. If he is a capable student, there is a case for him to stick to 1 unit and do really well (given that the typical 1 unit student doesnt give a rats!)

The differences between 1 unit and 2 unit at prelim level is an extra three units of work- 2 extra religious depth studies and Religions of Ancient Origin (which wont really help at Yr 12 level).

The two depth studies can be made up as due to the new course structure (combo of what you did last year in your Depth Studies and what you have done this year/will do this year in your Cross Religion Studies), Yr 11 stuff will be needed for Yr 12 (noting/just to emphasise that he is doing a completely different course to you as a Yr 12)

Hope this helps,

SH

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
warstalker said:
It should be fine, but why would anyone want to go to 2unit?! if i had enough units, i would have stayed in SOR1 or even catholic studies.

warstalker

I dunno
HSC
Idunno he just think is able to do it which he think will count towards his to unit by the time he does his HSC

nickyroony

BigBlogger
HSC
SOR2 is a great course... but a lot more crap to remember than SOR1 for an extra one unit =_= With all the cross-religion studies, the content can easily make the course into a 3 unit one lol

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
nickyroony said:
SOR2 is a great course... but a lot more crap to remember than SOR1 for an extra one unit =_= With all the cross-religion studies, the content can easily make the course into a 3 unit one lol
Your post really doesnt make any sense if you think about it. Of course 2 unit will have more content than 1 unit!

1 unit has half the content of 2 unit or conversely, 2 unit has twice as much content as 1 unit.

Just like an extension 1 subject has half as much again content as its 2 unit parent or an extension 2 subject has twice as much content .: applying your logic, is it worth while doing an extension subject just to get an extra unit?

*shakes head*

nickyroony

BigBlogger
HSC
Yeah true, but I still think it's a lot more work than it should be for a 2 unit course. That's just my opinion though. Of course 2 units is gonna be double the work of 1 unit, but I'm just saying that the additional work is more than double.

But as I said, just what I think.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
yeh i agree with nicky when she says that the work is more than doubled.... there is extra foundation study in SoR II and you do not two but THREE Cross Religion studies compared to only ONE in SoR I.

ooooh funny story, good friend of fine in the grade above..... was doing his exam when there came the question where he had to "use TWO sources"... the stress and the burning out led him to raise his hand and ask the teacher: "Miss! Wat does T.W.O stand for?"

nickyroony

BigBlogger
HSC
wm_abusef said:
ooooh funny story, good friend of fine in the grade above..... was doing his exam when there came the question where he had to "use TWO sources"... the stress and the burning out led him to raise his hand and ask the teacher: "Miss! Wat does T.W.O stand for?"
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I bet I'll do something stupid like that too xD

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
wm_abusef said:
yeh i agree with nicky when she says that the work is more than doubled.... there is extra foundation study in SoR II and you do not two but THREE Cross Religion studies compared to only ONE in SoR I.

but its still three topics Vs six topics of work...so it is only double 1-> 2 unit

still doesnt follow the line of logic that 2 unit is "more" other than its double the work load

Unless you are arguing that your typical 2 unit students takes it more seriously (which generally isnt the case in my experience though half the posts on this site indicate otherwise) than a 1 unit student then .: there will be more work as the 1 unit student does next to nothing...

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
how come you locked the other thread.. but not this one ???

i wish they offered 2unit SOR at my school.. i'd take it up for sure

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
they don't offer SoR II at my school either. Last year was the first time they offered SoR I for Year 11 even.

I was always given the impression that SoR II involves more work. Regardless of workload, anyone who would take up the chance of doing SoR II would put in effort regardless of workload. So it's really a matter of if your really up for it.

You'll be in a bad situation however if you were doing SoR I and putting the amount of time into it as if it were a 2-unit course therefore sacrificing the time you gave to your other subjects. :( I've been there and done that.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
sando said:
how come you locked the other thread.. but not this one ???

i wish they offered 2unit SOR at my school.. i'd take it up for sure
cause the other one was rubbish

warstalker

I dunno
HSC
But basicly you are able to change from SOR1 to SOR2 at the beginning of year 12 right?? Cause i thought of that you cant do the HSC course without the peliminary. I guess they are the same course just in SOR2 you learn some extra topics.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
not sure about that one, doesn't sound right though.... hmm.... 2u and 3u maths for example is the same course just that 3u has some more topics so i dont see how sor2 and sor1 would be any different.... maybe i'm just lost tho. my school doesnt even offer sor2.

check with ur school on that one. if it is as they say, then maybe its up to school and depends on ur past results in sor1.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
But basicly you are able to change from SOR1 to SOR2 at the beginning of year 12 right?? Cause i thought of that you cant do the HSC course without the peliminary. I guess they are the same course just in SOR2 you learn some extra topics.
a) its up to the school
b) those extra topics could be the reason why the school may not allow a 1 unit to 2 unit transfer as you/he HAVE NOT met the prelim requirements for 2 unit.
c).: ITS UP TO THE SCHOOL

get your "friend" to ask the REC/SUbject Head/Curriculum Co-ordinator/Curriculum Head (think I covered all the titles!) instead of you asking here.....

sorry to sound annoyed but why ask that question (a number of times) here when no-one here can answer it 100%??

warstalker

I dunno
HSC
yeah the board of directors said its alright for him but he just wanted to make sure.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
he wanted to make sure? :s

pls explain.... to be sure that he could change courses even though he already got the OK?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)