Hey i just have 2 quick questions about essays: (1 Viewer)

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Hey i just have 2 quick questions about essays:

1) If you are given a topic to write an essay about and it says discuss ( as in provide to sides to whatever argument) can you give points arguing for and against the exact same thing. ie, can you say: In the book _____________ Mary was the heroine as she did or this good things, then say but in this book Mary wasnt the heroine as she was not known and viewed as a good person in the public eye . Do you get me? or do you argue something completely different for the other side ie , elizabeth was the hero as she.

2) If you are still doing a discuss essay as in provide for and against ( so 2 different thing) how do u set it out? coz doesnt like an essay have to have 3 paragraphs in the body? ( or not???) so how do u split 3 into 2 . Or do u do for and against in each one

Okay lol i hope u get what im asking thanks!

and plz dont tell me to move to english forums! coz lol i have made a post there b4 thanks!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by *girl04*
Hey i just have 2 quick questions about essays:

1) If you are given a topic to write an essay about and it says discuss ( as in provide to sides to whatever argument) can you give points arguing for and against the exact same thing. ie, can you say: In the book _____________ Mary was the heroine as she did or this good things, then say but in this book Mary wasnt the heroine as she was not known and viewed as a good person in the public eye . Do you get me? or do you argue something completely different for the other side ie , elizabeth was the hero as she.
yes, you cna, but it can be a LOT more difficult, and you need to make it VERY clear that you are argueing obth points (in intro, body and conclusion)

Originally posted by *girl04*
2) If you are still doing a discuss essay as in provide for and against ( so 2 different thing) how do u set it out? coz doesnt like an essay have to have 3 paragraphs in the body? ( or not???) so how do u split 3 into 2 . Or do u do for and against in each one
you dont have to do 3 paragraphs in the body...you can do 10 if you wish...its one paragraph per point (and most people usually make 3 points, hence the 3 paragraphs)

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
what i usually do for discussion essays (for and against) is take 3 points.. do a paragraph for and against each point (6 paragraphs.. a bit shorter than i normally would do them) then in the conclusion decide which point of view is right
i havent done one since like yr 10 though..

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
can take both sides or one side-depends on your argument really- though it is best to take a side.
I encourage my students to use the SEX method of writing for *all* glossary types............
State an argument/Select an argument
Explain your argument
Give eXamples to support your argument

as for length, it will depend on your supporting argement ie your examples. If you can *really* prove a point, why limit yourself to 1 example?
HSC marking wise, usually more (with quality) is best as it shows depth of analysis and allows for greater explanation
Hope this helps

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
or..
S- statement/topic sentence
E- evidence
X- explanation
Y- why? why did you include this point - link back to the question

- from the english forums lol

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
i should prbably go write my 10 page essay for tommoro!w its just so hard to expand the points out to get enough to stretch it out i dont know what to say!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)